Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    What would WeeWilly think of this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would WeeWilly think of this? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I know that WeeWilly has moved on, but I couldn't help think of him today. I posted this on my Facebook page today so some of you may have seen it:
quote:
Here is part of a letter that was sent to parents of Harley Avenue Primary School in Elmwood, NY: "The reason for eliminating the Kindergarten show is simple. We are responsible for preparing children for college and career with valuable lifelong skills and know that we can best do that by having them become strong readers, writers, coworkers and problem solvers.

Now, clearly the concept could be debated ad infinitum. Of course, I think it is, as the English say, rubbish. If putting on a show doesn't incorporate lifelong skills, I don't know what does. Further, they are surely blunting any creativity in those kids. However, for Wordcrafters, I had to chuckle a bit at their verbiage. Since they want to encourage writers, I'd think they would have been more of a role model. I found that second sentence awkward, at best, and I do believe WeeWilly would have found some errors in it. I also do not think kindergarten should be capitalized, though I suppose that is petty.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harley Avenue? Is the cross street Davidson? Are they teaching them to be good little rednecks and ride huge motorcycles?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From their sentence construction, I wondered if those of you in England would normally say "preparing children for career," similar to "going to university" or "going to hospital." We in the U.S. normally would say "preparing children for a career" so I found that construction odd.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
No, we wouldn't.
I suspect that the"a" has been left out simply to give some alliteration the the phrase "college and career".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In a letter to parents? I doubt they left out the "a" on purpose, simply for alliteration. Frankly, they seem like a bunch of dolts to me.

posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob on this one. Yes, we would say "preparing children for a career," but "preparing children for college and career" sounds better than "preparing children for college and a career."

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Tinman. It does not sound better to me, but then neither does at university or in hospital.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
College and career is a handy doublet used to indicate 'their future life' or similar. Maybe 'boredom and drudgery' for their future life doesn't sound so enticing.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Come on, Arnie, it's not that bad, right?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Ah, Kalleh, I knew a practical thinker like yourself would be on my side of the fence when it comes to education policy.

Arnie is right, 'collegeandcareer' is politispeak and might as well be one word.

My husband and I have a fantasy middle school curriculum: an annual play, written, produced and performed by the entire school population Smile

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That sounds wonderful, Bethree. And it would take into account all the different kid talents.

posted Hide Post
And directed by the janitor! Smile (Think "Good Will Hunting"

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egad, Kalleh, that was nice of you, but I am not all that far away, after all, although I was off on holiday through several southern states for the last while!

From my point-of-view this isolated piece from the Harley Avenue Primary School is drivel in at least two ways. First, it says nothing to the point. Second, the last sentence is a complete non-sequitur to the first. The writer has apparently lost sight of the letter’s intent, and the rest of the letter cannot possibly provide a context that makes this a good – or even, acceptable – opening. So this piece is poor because it is poor diction, poor business writing, and poor reasoning.

Try the following as an alternative:
quote:

The Kindergarten Show has been eliminated because we see better ways to develop reading, writing and problem-solving skills, and a sense of community. So, instead….
... this way it says something to the purpose, and, of course, we can then agree or disagree with it!

I agree with Arnie; "college and career" is one of these funny emphasizing doublets that abound in our language - as, for example, "hearth and home", "hale and hearty", "tried and true" and "full and complete" [with reference to "stop"].

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you, WeeWilly. And I do like your rewording. That original was nebulous, at best.