Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    What's In A Name?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's In A Name? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
From a news report December 31, 2013:

"A Hawaii woman whose last name is 36 characters long has finally gotten the whole thing to fit on her driver's license and state identification card.
"
Janice Lokelani Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele (KAY'-ee-hah-nah-EE'-coo-COW'-ah-KAH'-hee-HOO'-lee-heh-eh-KAH'-how-NAH-eh-leh) received her new license and ID after her campaign to get her full name on the cards prompted the state Department of Transportation to change its policy and expand how many characters can appear on them."

I pity the poor policeman who pulls her over and has to include her name in a report. I doubt if she'll ever get a ticket.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose it translates as "Smith?"

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wonder how they got that on the license.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Apparently she has been issued a special license printed on a Subway foot-long sandwich.

<Proofreader>
posted
The This Is True website had this story and the blogger added this comment;

The state tried to get her to use her maiden name on her license, but she objected to that, since it would dishonor the memory of her dead husband, who only went by the one name. She recently received her new license, with her full name. (RC/KHON Honolulu) ...Which is great for now, but if she remarries she wants to hyphenate.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh for heaven's sakes! People get too wound up with names. I liked the name Phoebe (on Friends) used when she went to change her name because of marriage: Princess Consuela Bananahammock. Now that's a name!

<Proofreader>
posted
H. Allen Smith, a well-known humorist in the '40s, in his book People Named Smith spent an inordinate amount of ink mentioning every possible transposition and translation of his name. One person he mentioned had been named for part of a hat size, 7/8 Smith. Try going through life with that moniker.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well there are unfortunate names and then there are UNFORTUNATE names.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems it was a dicklomatic problem.

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
hey could have remedied the situation with a joint study.

Here are some less than stellar name choices. The other day there was an uproar over the parents, who are big Alabama fans, who named their new baby Krimson Tide. As one commenter noted, it's fine if he goes to Alabama, but what if he decides to go to Auburn/

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, that was a great Blog entry about the diplomatic problems. Wink And, proof, those names were funny!

I used to write come up with funny names for my exams - such as "Hugo Takashower." The students (college aged) loved it. Big Grin

<Proofreader>
posted
Then here's Manual Labor, the ethnic ditch digger, who went to medical school and became Dr. Manual Labor, hands-on obstetrician.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There are some old threads about funny names - two very early ones are: here and here. I love the obstetrician named Mabel C. Hiscock!