Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harry Potter Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
With the last Harry Potter book now out, Nathan Bierma wrote this column for the Chicago Tribune analyzing some of the wordplay in the series. I haven't read her books, but those of you who have might enjoy this article.

What kinds of Harry Potter celebrations did you see? In our bookstore the clerks all dressed up. If I am not mistaken, they kept the store open until midnight the day before it came out.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I see that there's a sentence in this review: "Rowling stocked her books with linguistic tidbits."

Which is maybe relevant to the thread about tits, which is still running. I have posted previously about a reference I once read (and which I can't track down) that claimed that there are a number of words and phrases that have been bowdlerised in US English because of their "risqué" nature. In UK English "tidbits" is "titbits".

The writer also suggested that this was the reason why male chickens, which we call "cocks", have been renamed "roosters" in the USA.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We also can't read "spotted dick" without tittering tiddering.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We tried to get faggots and peas pudding, followed by spotted dick when the Wordcrafters met in Birmingham. Sadly Mad O'Rourkes Pie Factory had run out of both items.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I thought faggots were cigarettes? Or is that just fags?

I love HP, and of course am already about half way through the last book. Don't expect too many posts from me for the next day or two. My DH has already finished, and Simon is a bit behind me, which is partly why I'm taking a break - giving him a chance to catch up.

I love the wordplay, the puns, the bits of linguistic humor in her spells, names, etc. We've had a few threads on these before, but I never tire of talking about them!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought faggots were cigarettes? Or is that just fags?

Fag is an old-fashioned term meaning cigarette. A faggot is a kind of meat rissole, more popular in the north of England.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
fags

My dad, to his (lung-cancer) dying day, always referred to cigarettes as fags (much to my teen-aged angst-ridden chagrin). He spent his early adulthood in various parts of the UK during WW2 building structures for the USAAF. Sorry to hear it's fallen out of use.

[Added hyphens.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I don't move in cigarette-smoking circles I can't be 100% sure, but it is my impression that the term is now old-fashioned. Smoking itself is less popular than it was, although it seems to be increasing in popularity with teenagers, especially girls.

Richard English

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's probably used less now than it was, as smoking is much less popular, but "fag" is still quite often used for a cigarette.

Some other words are: "gasper" (old-fashioned); "snout" (prison slang) "tab"; "tailor-made" (factory-produced, as opposed to hand-rolled); and "ciggy" (short for cigarette). There are several rhyming slang versions of "fag", such as "Harry Wragg" (a famous jockey), "oily rag", "toe rag", "spit and drag", and "jet lag".

There are no doubt other slang words that don't come to mind. In particular, I imagine the kids have their own slang for it, but I don't qualify for membership of their club.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Again, I think I have odd names for things. Has anyone else ever heard cigs referred to as either "smokey treats" or "cancer sticks"?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
anyone else ever heard cigs referred to as either "smokey treats" or "cancer sticks"?
I've heard "cancer sticks" before, but not recently.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"cancer sticks"

Yes, and coffin nails, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smoking itself is less popular than it was,

Not in Vienna and Prague, that's for sure. You can't be anywhere, inside or out, without someone smoking, including cigars. There are smokers while you are eating in a fancy restaurant even. That's not the case here in the states, thank goodness.

As for "cancer sticks," I had thought that was my father's phrase!
quote:
We've had a few threads on these before,
I know. I just thought the article was a nice linguistic summary, though I haven't read the books. Shu tells me it was a bit simplistic for those who have read the books.

I was reading that the National History Museum (or something) in London was open until midnight on Friday evening. They then treated 500 kids to a reading of Rowling's new book. How fun!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Not in Vienna and Prague, that's for sure.

Cigarette smoking is certainly more common in many countries in mainland Europe. But we don't have a lot to do with them, of course - they don't even speak English Wink

Richard English

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
So - back to the topic of The Book - has anyone else finished it yet?

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
CW,
My daughter read straight thru Sat and Sun... emerged bleary-eyed and teary-eyed. But she can't tell me anything! My son reads it next.. I'm third in line for the book... She loved it! But now she's depressed and doesn't want to read anything else... Smile Typical reaction

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So - back to the topic of The Book - has anyone else finished it yet?

I have been thinking very hard, for seconds at a time, as to whether I should start reading the first one. Then I come to my senses and do something important - like go to the pub Wink

Richard English

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm third in line for the book

We solved that problem by procuring 2 copies from the library and buying one! I'm already able to take my copy back to the library!

Loved the book!

Richard, darling, you silly man. I'm sorry to hear that you'd rather drink than read. Pity, really, that you have to miss out on a great story. I suppose you will probably even avoid the movies? Sigh. Some people are beyond rescue, I suppose.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose you will probably even avoid the movies?

I stopped going to the cinema when people started calling films "movies". When they start calling them by their proper name I'll maybe start going again.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
I stopped going to the cinema when people started calling films "movies". When they start calling them by their proper name I'll maybe start going again.

You stopped going to the cinema in 1912?

posted Hide Post
No. This is when the word was coined - not when it replaced the expression "film". Films were never called movies in the UK until relatively recently. What happens in the USA is a different matter, of course.

Richard English

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
"The Scots and the Irish leave you close to tears. There are places where English completely disappears; in America they haven't spoken it for years." -- Professor Higgins, My Fair Lady (The Movie)

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've finished it and I have a question, but hesitate to ask it in pubic until others have finished it too...

My son tells me of some summer camps around here where they have designated "safe houses" - in this bunk one may discuss pages 1-100, in the one pages 101-250, in that one 251-400, etc. and everywhere else NOTHING AT ALL about the book. (Pages numbers are picked arbitrarily for this post but you get the idea...)

Interesting concept!

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Richard, darling, you silly man. I'm sorry to hear that you'd rather drink than read. Pity, really, that you have to miss out on a great story. I suppose you will probably even avoid the movies? Sigh. Some people are beyond rescue, I suppose.
Harry Potter isn't for everyone, I suppose. Different strokes for different folks... I am sure Richard reads...just not Harry Potter.

Hab, I see CW has started another thread on Harry Potter where you can ask your question. Oh...and Shu has finished it now, too.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, I'm sure RE reads . . . I was trying just to tease a bit. Sorry if it came out as snarky.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, yes, I'm sure RE reads . . . I was trying just to tease a bit. Sorry if it came out as snarky.

Please do not, for one second, think that you have offended me. I took your comments as the light-hearted and good-natured jests that I am sure they were.

Nothing you have ever said or posted has ever given me cause for complaint. But of course, you will have every chance to rectify that omission when we meet next year Wink

Richard English

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Oh yes - I would love to insult, personally, everyone who comes to visit! It's sort of a Columbus tradition. Big Grin

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh yes - I would love to insult, personally, everyone who comes to visit! It's sort of a Columbus tradition.
Now, don't insult my good friend CW. Wink She's a perfect hostess. I seem to remember that she even put chocolate on our pillows when we stayed at her house. What a wonderful time Shu and I had in Columbus!