Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pax Vobiscum Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The poor Tribune. They have gotten into trouble twice now with the use of the term Pax Vobiscum. Recently they used the term to say good-bye to Chicago's Cardinal George who is stepping down to deal with cancer. The previous time was in 2005 when they said goodbye to Pope John Paul.

Here is the conundrum:

Some Latin scholars say that vobiscum is the plural, so, since both of these were only about one person, it should be Pax tecum. However, the other side says:
quote:
Michael I. Allen, professor of medieval Latin philology at the University of Chicago, offers a defense of Pax vobiscum: the concept of pluralis maiestatis, or "the plural of majesty." Think "The Royal We" and you're close. Invoking pluralis maiestatis suggests it's respectful to use the plural vobiscum when formally addressing a person of stature. Say, a pope.
However, this professor said he'd say, "Pax tibi, Johannes Paule," or, "Peace to you, John Paul."

What do you think?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I think it's nit-picking. Most Roman Catholics will recognise pax vobiscum from the Mass, but possibly not pax tecum, although the latter is also used in liturgy. Although strictly pax vobiscum is plural in classical Latin, in the later ecclesiastical Latin the plural form of address was used as a mark of respect as is mentioned.

We still see this in some languages such as French, where vous, "you", is the polite form of address and tu, "thou", is generally reserved for family members and young children. English, of course, went further and "thou" is now archaic, with "you" being used in all cases. That, of course, brings its own problems ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martin Buber held that "thou" in English indicates a reverential referent, as opposed to the profane "you." Given the current zeitgeist it's not easy to find ones who deserve reverence. Perhaps the language reflects that. These days it seems to be "POX vobiscum."

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
The solution? Pax vobiscum, y'all

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Cross threading, Proof? Big Grin

I did not know that "you" was supposed to be profane. Interesting.

posted Hide Post
"Profane" in the sense of being common or secular. Eliade used it that way in his book, "The Sacred and The Profane." http://www.amazon.com/The-Sacr...ligion/dp/015679201X

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Geoff. BTW, did you see that the hardcover book is $2,000 on Amazon, while the paperback is $10.82?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
hardcover book is $2,000 on Amazon, while the paperback is $10.82?

The hardcover is consecrated; paperbacks are anti-theistic.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Chicago's Cardinal George who is stepping down to deal with cancer.

It's time somebody did ... this disease has been around for far too long!

[My daughter is a doctor in cancer research, and I sure intend no disrespect for anyone who has this pernicious disease, but I can only resist so much temptation! Red Face]

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, I had it coming. I am in the medical field as well - nursing.