Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cats or Dogs? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
In the sidebar gadget on my blog where random OEDILF limericks pop up I just got one defining the phrase "dog's chance" or "dog's chance in hell".

I was interested because I have never heard precisely this phrase. I have only ever heard "cat's chance" or "cat's chance in hell" (or the rather more logical "snowball's chance" and "snowball's chance in hell")

Is this Cats/Dogs distinction a regional thing?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
a regional thing?

Probably I have only heard dog's/snowball's chance in hell, though I now wonder at the name of the family cat in The Simpsons.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've nly heard it in reference to snowball.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Likelise, I can only think of a snowball's chance in hell. The phrases "dog's chance and "cat's chance", while somehow familiar, don't ring true. Maybe there's some confusion with other idioms like "dog's life" perhaps?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Like arnie, I've heard snowball's chance. To me the phrase dog's chance sounds vaguely familiar, but that's all.

[Speaking of dogs, I wasn't going to post this here because it really isn't a word post, but now I will. Having just gotten 20 inches of snow and then zero degree weather, our poor dog feels just like this one in the article: Link]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only heard snowball.

Like Kalleh, zero degrees F, not C. Less snow, but lots of ice.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post