Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Newspaper articles of interest
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Newspaper articles of interest Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I generally let Word do the job - although I do know the formula and used to use it.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Heh. I've been using Word for about 20 years and never noticed that option before (although I'd guess it wasn't included in the DOS versions I used at first)!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've not known about it either. I can't wait to put some of my articles into it!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I never knew that was there either! What a great little tool--though I had to search though the help menu to find it. Very handy. Thanks.

Richard, as for your press release, there are two reasons to write a press release: either to make it so interesting that the newspaper will publish the information as you sent it, or to make it so intriguing and interesting that the editor will actually decide to send someone to cover it (even better than just reprinting what you wrote.) Of course, you want them to run the release as written so as to attract participants, but since your event sounds as if it might make a fun feature, your release might also draw a reporter to the first quiz night, giving you a "double whammy" for your efforts. So I would just write it as you think it should be written, and then (sigh) if the people who requested that you do it take a blue pencil to it--that's just one of those "oh well--I tried" situations that you can't do anything about. The bane of a PR person's existence.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This article from the Tribune has some good stories about the following 4 famous quotes:

1) "Go ahead...make my day." (from "Sudden Impact")

2) "There's no crying in baseball." (from "A League of Their Own")

3) "What we've got here is a failure to communicate." (from "Cool Hand Luke")

4) "Mama always said, 'Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get'." (from "Forrest Gump")

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
A report of a news story rather than the story itself.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, no comments about art. It was just the wrongheadedness of the legal action that amused me. And the threat in the ransom note. Big Grin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

posted Hide Post
I have already said that I won't comment about art since it always arouses ire in some of those who post here. I will discuss art - any kind of art - only when we have agreed on a definition of art.

I will say that, looking at this article and some of the comments posted, it seems that Damien Hirst's conceptual art appears trigger stupidity wherever it appears. Which is fine for him, of course - even more money into his already inflated bank account.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I am not discussing art, but I love how some of those who post here can tell you they are not writing about art when in fact they do. Good show! I have nothing to say about the link which I did not even bother to click through on.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I've been using Word for about 20 years and never noticed that option before

What is it called and where do I find it?

Report This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Oh come on. Surely somebody apart from me finds this funny.
An art student uses a picture of Hirst's jewel encrusted skull in a collage, Hirst threatens to sue for breach of copyright, the collage is withdrawn, the student steals a box of pencils from a work by Hirst and holds them to ransom saying he will "sharpen them" if his work isn't returned, Hirst threatens further legal action claiming the box of pencils are, because they are part of his work, worth half a million quid. The student was arrested - as was his father on suspicion of "harbouring the pencils".

Surely a slightly better approach from Hirst would been not to complain in the first place and if he had to complain to just replace the pencils with another packet brought for a couple of quid from any good stationery shop.

None of this has anything to do with art, just to do with someone taking a high-handed position that is more likely to bring ridicule than reward.

Well, I thought it was funny.
So there! Razz

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
quote:
I've been using Word for about 20 years and never noticed that option before

What version of Word are you using?

<Proofreader>
posted

Report This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Less funny than pathetic, Bob. It sounds as if his spine is wired backwards, with the bum at the top and the head at the bottom.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely a slightly better approach from Hirst would been not to complain in the first place and if he had to complain to just replace the pencils with another packet brought for a couple of quid from any good stationery shop.

None of this has anything to do with art, just to do with someone taking a high-handed position that is more likely to bring ridicule than reward.

Indeed. It has nothing to do with art - even the productions that Damien Hirst has managed to convince some people are art - it has everything to do with promoting himself and adding to his already obscene fortune.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it's the same in most versions. Go to tools, options, spelling and grammar and tick the "show readability statistics" rubric.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It has nothing to do with art - even the productions that Damien Hirst has managed to convince some people are art

I see what does "I have already said that I won't comment about art since it always arouses ire in some of those who post here" mean to you Richard? What was that term that Sir Winston once used? Ah, yes, a "terminological inexactitude".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Go to tools, options, spelling and grammar and tick the "show readability statistics" rubric.

I have everything except that last option in my version.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see what does "I have already said that I won't comment about art since it always arouses ire in some of those who post here" mean to you Richard? What was that term that Sir Winston once used? Ah, yes, a "terminological inexactitude".

My comment has nothing to do with art; it has everything to do with the Damien Hirst con machine and, I suppose, by extension, the others in the "modern art" movement who, by judicious manipulation of the market and media, manage to persuade otherwise sensible human beings to pay stupid sums of money for complete rubbish.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have everything except that last option in my version.

That's bad news; I can only assume the option has been taken away since it's in my ancient W2000 and was in all my previous versions. Of course, it might be an optional extra that you need to specifically install when you set up Word.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:

My comment has nothing to do with art; it has everything to do with the Damien Hirst con machine and, I suppose, by extension, the others in the "modern art" movement who, by judicious manipulation of the market and media, manage to persuade otherwise sensible human beings to pay stupid sums of money for complete rubbish.

I'm sorry to say this Richard, but if this isn't a comment on "art" then I'm a Martian jelly baby.
Now can we knock it off, please? I only posted because I thought the "return my art or I'll sharpen your pencils" was funny. I wish I hadn't bothered.

posted Hide Post
It's not a comment about art, it is a comment on Damien Hirst's successful con - which I agree, is based on his "art". I'll talk about Bernie Madoff's con if you prefer - he seems to have done even better than Hirst which certainly proves something about the public's gullibility.

As I said, I'll discuss art per se when we can agree on a definition of art - but until this happens I'll not discuss art.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As the originator of this section of the thread I would like to request that it be either separated and locked or deleted (simply as a precaution). One day I'll learn.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I will lock it, Bob. I agree. This is a very long thread anyway, and I'll just start a new thread for newspaper articles. Thanks for thinking of the best interests of this community.