Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    gaol's too good for 'em
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gaol's too good for 'em Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
Grammatohooligans fined for defacing historic sign in a US national park (link).
quote:
Jeff Michael Deck, 28, of Somerville, Mass., and Benjamin Douglas Herson, 28, of Virginia Beach, Va., pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Flagstaff after damaging a rare, hand-painted sign in Grand Canyon National Park. They were sentenced to a year's probation, during which they cannot enter any national park, and were ordered to pay restitution.

According to court records, Deck and Herson toured the United States from March to May, wiping out errors on government and private signs. On March 28, while at Desert View Watchtower on the South Rim, they used a white-out product and a permanent marker to deface a sign painted more than 60 years ago by artist Mary Colter. The sign, a National Historic Landmark, was considered unique and irreplaceable, according to Sandy Raynor, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Phoenix.

The justice system does work. I, too, blame Lynne Truss for seducing these two men into becoming what they are today: grammarian criminals. [Via Language Log (link).]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
check the League's website (link) to see their own punctuation error (no period).

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable. Deck is a Dartmouth graduate, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Why would they need a period? It's headlinese and not a sentence (the verb is missing).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Do we know what the supposed errors were?

And I agree with Arnie; headlines need no full stop. Remember the purpose of a headline; it exists to attract the attention of readers and to entice them into the body of the writing. The last thing you want readers to do when they read a headline, is stop!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Richard,

I don't think we do exactly. Check out the comments in the Language Log link for quite a lot about this.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
It's headlinese and not a sentence

I consider it a declaratory sentence of intentions, not a headline.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I consider it a declaratory sentence of intentions, not a headline.

Would that not be a rather good definition of a headline?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It looks like the misplaced apostrophe in womens'. About halfway through the text emense occurs, which is where the vandal lost heart and stopped defacing the sign (link and link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Deck:
quote:
“I think I shall be haunted by that perversity, emense, in my train-whistle-blighted dreams tonight.”

Amon Shea:
quote:
Personally, I believe that Deck will be haunted by the absence of the several thousands of dollars more than he will be by the alternative spelling of this word, but maybe I’m wrong. In fact, I sincerely hope that I am wrong – I would love it if this self-righteous prig were haunted in his dreams, tonight and for many nights to come. Because I would like to point out to him that the sign he saw is hardly the only incidence of immense being written ‘emense’. It comes up in the OED - Caxton used it in Eneydos in 1490. And a quick perusal of Google Books shows that it was use in the Journal of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, and also in Metrical Legends of Exalted Characters (by Joanna Baillie in 1821), and also in 476 other sources listed. If Mr. Deck has the courage of his convictions, and if his diary was telling the truth, it would be appropriate if he has ‘train-whistle-blighted dreams’ once for every one of those 478 emenses found in Google Books.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, thanks for that, goofy. I just love Ammon Shea, and have been perusing his new book in the book store. I really should buy it because I am enjoying it so much. While knowing as much as he does about words and etymology, he's also very modest and loves making fun of himself.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Dennis Baron, linguo-bloggist at the Web of Language, has a new entry on word-raging vigilantism (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There's something strangely old-fashioned about the look of TEAL's Statement on the Signs of our National Parks and Public Lands (read: apology).

To start with, they use double-spacing after a full stop (period). This was taught by typing tutors when typewriters used fixed-width fonts. It is undesirable now that word processing and variable width fonts are available.

Secondly, it is common practice nowadays to indicate a paragraph by a blank line, and start the new paragraph flush-left, not by indenting as they have done.

Also, as self-appointed typographical mavens I would have thought they would have frowned on the use of multiple explamation marks. Twice they say,
quote:
altering signs without the permission of the owner is a crime!!
I wonder if their statement was dictated or even written by their parents?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Interesting observations, arnie. I looked at the source for the page, and it was written in Word 11 and saved as (X)HTML. All the paragraph tags would seem to have been unmodified Normal. (I stopped a Word 97, so I'll leave it as an exercise to the curious reader to try writing a simple document in Word and saving it to HTML to see what they get.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The (X)HTML produced by Word is famously poor, and Word 11 seems little better. There's probably twice the markup needed to get the page to display as it was composed, and it would take even less to display it adequately in simple HTML. Heck, they might as well have written it in a text editor and saved it as a text file, for all the formatting it really needs.

posted Hide Post
Twice the mark-up? 10x is more like it. This particular page is unusual in its brevity. A typical Word/Front Page includes dozens of useless font definitions (including at least 3 Korean ones). I've seen some that include a font definition for a font used primarily in comic books in Taiwan. CSS repeated in every table cell?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Valentine,

Perhaps I was underestimating, but I was only referring to this particular page, which has virtually no need for markup as there's little formatting used.

posted Hide Post
I agree regarding that particular page. A recently viewed example (not the worst I've seen) is:

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Lawrevision/plshort/pl2008nu.htm

It takes a while to load, even with a broadband connection.

Unless they've fixed it, it also demonstrates another common Word/FP error: a path to C:\\some.image.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
higgledy piggledy
Benjamin D. Herson,
Shocked by the errors
On signs in the parks,

Appointed himself as a
Grammatohooligan.
He's now being punished for
Making bad marks.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, Jerry

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp