Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bookcrossing? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I just ran across a site called BookCrossing.com Has anyone else seen it? It appears that they discuss literature on-line and exchange books.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I can't get the page to load, Asa. Got any hints on how to make it work?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oooops! Capital B and capital C BookCrossing.com

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
bookcrossing
n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.bookcrossing.com/

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think the page was just malfunctioning last night. It opened like a dream today. What a great idea! It's been happening casually all over the place for a long time anyway - why not track it! I love it!

So are you guys registering on bookcrossing and going to release books and track them and all? Let me know your screen names and we can be linked there as friends. Mine is the same as here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Caterwauller,

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
I just ran across a site called BookCrossing.com Has anyone else seen it? It appears that they discuss literature on-line and exchange books.

I hadn't seen the website till you mentioned it, but I heard that BBC Radio Four's Open Book programme discussion they mention.

Eighty four copies of the book were taken to public places such as airports and left on trains and in telephone kiosks, buses and taxis. They each had a page of instructions stuck to the flyleaf giving a phone number, email address and postal address for finders to contact with details of where they'd come across the book and telling them to leave the book for someone else to find when they'd finished it.

The books ended up in all sorts of strange places and a very eclectic mix of people recounted their stories of finding the book.

The idea appears to have spread and British Expats seem to have found some of the others.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Well, I've registered at the site and I've printed out some bookmarks and I have plans to release a few of our books into the wild (my personal copies, not from the library, of course).

Now, Asa - what is your name on the bookcrossing site so I can give you credit for referring me?

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Now, Asa - what is your name on the bookcrossing site so I can give you credit for referring me?

I haven't yet registered there! Frown I guess I'd better get cracking!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
*tapping foot with impatience*

Well? Have you done anything about it yet?

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
See PM.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've released 3 books this week and hope to release more! My son is even parting with a few. We put some in ziplock bags to leave at playgrounds!

~Dalai Lama