Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Generational words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Generational words Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I don't know what else to call them but "generational" words - that is, words used by one generation, but not by another. Is there a better description? For example, my son, a millenial, and I were out and we saw this pretty woman. My son said, "She's thick," and I said, "She is not fat!" Apparently, however, now "thick" means being beautiful and nicely proportioned. That's new to me. Have you heard it used that way? What other words like this are there?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Loads and loads.

Young people's slang changes pretty well every generation, often faster. If a parent uses a slang word it is, almost by definition, no longer 'cool' so is out of date.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know - but what are a few of them?

Have you heard of "thick" used that way?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff tells me that a couple of years ago "sick" meant "beautiful," too. I am wondering if they are related.