Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    A good word...and a bad one...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good word...and a bad one... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The newish mayor of Chicago has been in the news lately for two word-related reasons that caught my eyes.

First he was interviewed about his Jewish heritage. From that article:
quote:
His voice cracking, the mayor said, “I know my grandfather, Herman, is kvelling,” the Yiddish word for bursting with pride.
I know a number of Yiddish words, but kvelling is new to me.

Then...The Chicago Sun Times wrote an editorial about his use of the "f" word .

I like kvelling better!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad Lewis didn't know the word, "schmuck" as a retort. BTW, how long is a Chicago school day?

One must keep in mind that teachers don't quit when the students leave; there are papers to grade, parents to be conferred with, and lesson plans to be made - all after school.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad Lewis didn't retort with "Schmuk!"

BTW, how long is a Chicago school day?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The actual statistic, Geoff, was hard to find, but in Chicago kids are in school for 5 hours and 45 minutes a day, for about 174 days a year. Interestingly, the mayor, who is lobbying to lengthen the teaching time, has launched a Website called, "Longer School Day Pioneer Program." According to this site:
quote:
Of the 10 major cities in the nation, Chicago ranks last in the amount of time students spend in the classroom.

Today, CPS students receive 15% less instructional time than the national average.

Academic studies, education experts, and high-achieving schools with extended time in Chicago and across the nation confirm that additional instructional time is a key factor in student success.
While I agree that this teaching time needs to be increased, I do think it is the quality of time that counts, and not just the number of hours. I have this discussion all the time about clinical hours for student nurses. Some think the more the hours, the more competent the student. Yet our studies have not found that, and I can see why. It is the quality of that clinical experience. Is there adequate supervision and feedback? Did the student have time to reflect on what went well and what could be improved? Did the student have a chance to practice independently (and not just watch) and to make some decisions? One program may send their students for 8 hours a day, two days a week, to "watch" at a clinic. Another may have two intensive 3-hour periods a week where students study fluid and electrolytes across populations for assessment (lab data) and management. What an incredible experience! Yet, if we just considered hours, the first with 16 would trump the second with 6. I hope Chicago's mayor realizes that tiny point.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Her in China it varies from day to day but often they begin school at 8:30 and leave at around 18:50.
My hours are much lighter though. I teach 4 classes Monday to Wednesday, three on Thursday and two on Friday. BUT those classes are only 45 minutes long and there are only two DIFFERNT lessons each week - one taught to ten classes of juniors and one taught to seven classes of seniors.
I use the same topic for both but different activities.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you enjoying it, Bob? Have you made any friends yet? Do the students know about Lewis Carroll by now? Big Grin

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
1) Yes, very much.
2) Only the other two western English teachers really. I'm friendly with all the Chinese teachers but that's not the same as being friends.
3) Yes. Of course they do. It was in lesson one. Smile

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So...what bad words do the Chinese use? Are "bad words" in other languages related to bodily functions and sex, like in English? I wonder...