Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    You be the judge...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You be the judge... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The public editor of the Chicago Tribune wrote this article about their editorial when Hillary recently lost in the North Carolina election. This is the beginning paragraph, which alludes to the recent fate of Eight Belles, the female horse who recently came in second in the Kentucky Derby and then had to be euthanized because of 2 broken ankles:
quote:
"The only filly in the crowded field crossed the finish line second, but the fans who'd bet on her still had one last gasp of hope. Perhaps some fortuitous technicality would disqualify the first-place finisher. But things got worse instead of better. We're talking about Eight Belles, who was euthanized Saturday after almost winning the Kentucky Derby. But we're thinking about Hillary Clinton."

Poor taste?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Politics. Frown

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
We're talking about Eight Belles, who was euthanized Saturday after almost winning the Kentucky Derby.

When did they start euhenizing horses in the USA? I believe we still destroy them.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:
We're talking about Eight Belles, who was euthanized Saturday after almost winning the Kentucky Derby.

When did they start euhenizing horses in the USA? I believe we still destroy them.

Euthanize is just a euphemism for kill, just as destroy is.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Asa, I agree with you. Further, I think (and thought when I first read it) that it was in poor taste.

I do think there is a difference between "killing" a horse and "euthanizing" it. True, either way the horse dies. However, to me killing implies putting it to death with no regard to pain and suffering, while euthanizing does imply this.

posted Hide Post
Biology Online:
quote:
To deprive of life, animal or vegetable, in any manner or by any means; to render inanimate; to put to death; to slay.

To kill does not necessarily mean any more than to deprive of life.

OACU/NIH (Office of Animal Care and Use, National Institutes of Health)
quote:
Euthanasia is the act of inducing humane death in an animal. It should result in rapid unconsciousness followed by cardiac or respiratory arrest and ultimate loss of brain function. The technique should minimize any stress and anxiety experienced by the animal prior to unconsciousness. (AVMA, 1993).

A process of killing that renders the animal unconscious (and thus insensitive to pain) as rapidly as possible, without fear and anxiety (CCAC, 1980).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Those are nice links, Tinman, as usual, but what is your opinion? Is "kill," in that situation, the same as "euthanize?" I don't think so.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is "kill," in that situation, the same as "euthanize?" I don't think so.

I'll bet it is to the horse!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Those are nice links, Tinman, as usual, but what is your opinion? Is "kill," in that situation, the same as "euthanize?" I don't think so.

You want my opinion? They killed the poor horse. They may have euthanized it, destroyed it, put it to sleep, put it out of its misery, induced a humane death, but they did kill it.

This is connotation versus denotation again. To you kill apparently connotes a violent act. But kill denotes simply directly causing the death of someone or something.

Denote and connote - from dictionary.com
quote:
Usage Note: Denote and connote are often confused because both words have senses that entail signification. Denote means "to signify directly or literally" and describes the relation between the word and the thing it conventionally names. Connote means "to signify indirectly, suggest or imply" and describes the relation between the word and the images or associations it evokes. Thus, the word river denotes a moving body of water and may connote such things as the relentlessness of time and the changing nature of life.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=kill&r=66 - from Dictionary.com
quote:
Synonyms 1. slaughter, massacre, butcher; hang, electrocute, behead, guillotine, strangle, garrote; assassinate. Kill, execute, murder all mean to deprive of life. Kill is the general word, with no implication of the manner of killing, the agent or cause, or the nature of what is killed (whether human being, animal, or plant): to kill a person. Execute is used with reference to the putting to death of one in accordance with a legal sentence, no matter what the means are: to execute a criminal. Murder is used of killing a human being unlawfully: He murdered him for his money.

A mercy killing and a brutal murder are both killing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
quote:

You want my opinion? They killed the poor horse. They may have euthanized it, destroyed it, put it to sleep, put it out of its misery, induced a humane death, but they did kill it.

This is connotation versus denotation again. To you kill apparently connotes a violent act. But kill denotes simply directly causing the death of someone or something.

quote:
Usage Note: Denote and connote are often confused because both words have senses that entail signification. Denote means "to signify directly or literally" and describes the relation between the word and the thing it conventionally names. Connote means "to signify indirectly, suggest or imply" and describes the relation between the word and the images or associations it evokes. Thus, the word river denotes a moving body of water and may connote such things as the relentlessness of time and the changing nature of life.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=kill&r=66]Kill - from Dictionary.com
quote:
Synonyms 1. slaughter, massacre, butcher; hang, electrocute, behead, guillotine, strangle, garrote; assassinate. Kill, execute, murder all mean to deprive of life. Kill is the general word, with no implication of the manner of killing, the agent or cause, or the nature of what is killed (whether human being, animal, or plant): to kill a person. Execute is used with reference to the putting to death of one in accordance with a legal sentence, no matter what the means are: to execute a criminal. Murder is used of killing a human being unlawfully: He murdered him for his money.

posted Hide Post
quote:

This is connotation versus denotation again. To you kill apparently connotes a violent act. But kill denotes simply causing the death of someone or something.

quote:

Kill - from Dictionary.com
quote:

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, the horse died either way, I agree. However, my interpretation of "euthanizing" is different from "killing." Apparently yours isn't, so therein we disagree.