Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Say What? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
he Huffington Post had a story about swear words once common but now just laughable today. Here are what they listed:
1. "Doggone it!"

2. "Shoot" or "Sugar"

3. "Holy moly"

4. "Jeez Louise!"

5. "Gosh"

6. "Dadgummit!"

7. "Oh, poop."

8. "Jesum Crow"

9. "Fiddlesticks!"

10. "Jiminy Cricket"

11. "Heavens to Betsy!"

12. "Bull corn"

13. "Consarn"

14. "Drats!"

15. "Oh, fudge"

16. "Son of a gun"

17. "Hell's bells"

What happened to "tarnation"? Or "criminentally."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use most of them, plus Heavens to Murgatroid.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, minced oaths aren't often bothered with nowadays; we're much more direct. Shame really - (bad) language is a lot less colourful.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I love them! I agree, arnie. Now it's mostly Fuck or Shit, but nothing so colorful. My dad was a star with his colorful language. Our daughter still laughs about his call someone who is stupid a "rum dum." Or "he is one french fry short of a Happy Meal."

I remember people saying "Confound it!" as a swear word.

Now, in all fairness, some of them are just based on real swear words, like "Oh, Fudge!" or "Bull corn!"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget "zounds!"

posted Hide Post
Dayton doesn't have anyone named "Bubba" in it, but does have an all-classical music station run by a Korean from Portland.

Anybody remember the book, "Cultural Literacy?"

posted Hide Post
Dayton, unlike Daytona, doesn't have anyone named "Bubba" or "Junior," but it does have an all-classical music station run by a Korean from Portland, Oregon.

Who remember the book, "Cultural Literacy?"

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
My father didn't really swear (in front of us kids, anyway). However, in extremis he'd come out with 'Hell's bells'. When in need of a good stress-relieving oath he'd say 'Hell's bells and buckets of blood!'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just love some of those substitutes for swearing. I found this Blog with some.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I only heard my father use a real swearword once in his life. Given that a storm had just knocked all the glass out of his greenhouse I think he can be forgiven. Big Grin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And what was the word?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
glass out of his greenhouse

Back in the 70s, my wife was into gardening and saw a small greenhouse advertised locally. We drove about forty miles north to Massachusetts and bought one. But the only way we could get it home was in the back of our hatchback. So they loaded massive boxes of glass and long aluminum struts, which projected from the back of the car. We put rags on them so cars behind us wouldn't run up on them. But I didn't take the weight distribution into account. Every time I stepped on the gas, the greenhouse material moved back and the front of the car left the road for several seconds. All the way home, for forty miles, I was babying the throttle to keep the car drivable. Last time I did that.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now that is literalism. Wink