Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Englyns Login/Join

posted
I'm listening to BBC Radio 4's Poetry Please and today's theme is poetry about Wales or by Welsh poets.

Everyone here has heard of a haiku but I wonder how many, like me, have never heard of an Englyn until today.

More examples and information here, here, here and a very pretty site here

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Thank you, very interesting, intriguing. Do you know of a site where the Welsh-language poetry is read aloud?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Di, we've missed you! Glad to see you back.

I hadn't heard of Englyn before. It looks hard! The rigidity that Wikipedia talks about reminds me of DDs. I wonder if there is a flexibility to it, as there is with limericks.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Reading a couple of the sites linked by Di, it looks as if the verse form is very formalised, and pretty much set in stone, rather as is a true Japanese haiku.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, Di, we've missed you! Glad to see you back.

Thanks Smile. I've been very busy recently, so I haven't been around much. I've got a new job, so it's taking up a LOT of my time. I hope to get back to a more regular posting schedule soon.

quote:
I hadn't heard of Englyn before. It looks hard! The rigidity that Wikipedia talks about reminds me of DDs. I wonder if there is a flexibility to it, as there is with limericks.

The form looks extremely rigid with no leeway whatever - almost as though it's set in stone.