Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Style Invitational to end?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Style Invitational to end? Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Many members will know of the Washington Post's Style Invitational contest, in particular because they have run limerick contests in conjunction with the OEDILF.

There's a rather worrying article here which seems to indicate that the SI may be ending. Let's hope not! I regularly read the column online and will miss it if it finishes.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I must go and check the OEDILF forums because I am sure a few of them there are devastated. In fact, I am surprised that Chris Doyle wasn't mentioned in the article since he has won quite a few of those contests.

I'd hate to see the column discontinued. It's just so fun sometimes!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As I understand it they haven't decided yet, but it seems the Empress is retiring. It survived a previous change of control though so I don't see why it shouldn't survive another.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
Another possibility that has been mentioned would be for The Empress to retire from her full job at the Post (apparently with a substantial buy-out offer) but to continue running the Style Invitational.

As popular as that feature is and as cheap as it is to support (a huge pool of comedy writers submits material week after week in exchange for refrigerator magnets--give me a break!), I can't see the contest ever completely going away. Hell, I imagine there must be a dozen regulars who would step into the position on a strictly volunteer basis, if it came to that.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, CJ, and I imagine CD would be one of them.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post