Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Double Dactyls again
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Dactyls again Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
I of course came across several double-dactyl lists while googling to find quotes for higgledy-piggledy. Let me particularly share that there were many fine ones in this thread, in the "glyph" forum mentioned elsewhere.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
Stormin' from Normandy,
William the Conqueror
Sailed 'cross the Channel in

And, with remarkable
Omnivoraciousness,
Conquered the Angles, Jutes,
Saxons and Picts.

(I'm not happy with the sixth line. Any help, especially from the brits?)

1. What's wrong with the sixth line? and

2. Why ask for help especially from the Brits?
(While they may have their unique historical perspective on the events outlined, you can't beat us Yanks for omnivoraciousness.)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
The More Things Change, the More
They Stay the Same. (Mostly)

Jiggery-Pokery
Ms Christine Jorgensen
Back in the 50's was
Much in the news.

Focused attention on
Transexuality,
Dealing with one of life's
Major snafus.

A self-graded "B", flawless yet pedestrian. No zip. No pop. On the plus side, Ms Jorgensen's life and unusual circumstances made her the butt of a million sophmoric jokes, all of which I ignored here.

I had to google her to confirm my recollection that hers was a 50's story and, in reading her bio, was surprised to learn that she had passed away just short of her 63rd birthday in 1989. I bought a paperback edition of her autobiography some 20 or 30 years ago and still haven't read it...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ, it had pop for me! Wink While the name didn't really follow the meter that well (neither did Iraq's Sadam Hussein, though, and you gave yourself an A+ on that one), I thought the message was quite clever. But, then, I am a mere amateur. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Well "JORgensen" is perfect and "MIZ christine" I'd say was 95% there. My but we're getting picky!

Regarding "Iraq," while it's usually pronounced "eye-RACK," I've also heard it with both syllables being given equal stress so I thought "Iraq's Suddam Hussein" would fly. TrossL's suggestion that I refer to Sir LooneyTunes as "Mister," while in keeping with the proper DD format, seemed to be a tad overly respectful under the circumstances. If "Mister Saddam Hussein" works for you (and, now that I consider it, it certainly does for me) I won't complain.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, CJ, so I like to argue with you, I guess! Big Grin

Picky? This coming from the guy who can't accept the rhymes of "words" and "girls". Give a girl a break!

I would not say "MIZ Christine", but "Miz ChrisTINE". As I have said on this board numerous times, I had not even heard of double dactyls until this board, so I am hardly an expert. However, I am married to not only an expert, but also a perfectionist. I have wanted to write about so many fun people, and Shoo simply says, "Hon, it doesn't work." Shoo disagreed with my DD about "Simon E. Winchester", which I loved BTW, because, "Hon, you cannot add a middle initial." My point? While you fudge a bit with your meter and give yourself an A+, Shufiz calls that a fatal flaw and wouldn't even post it. Yet, he, along with me, loved the limerick with "words" and "girls". Each to his/her own. That's my point. You're not right or wrong, nor am I. Tis a matter of taste.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, TrossL, this is merely a discussion--I could never fight with CJ (argue, maybe Razz; fight, no!) My point was that it is a matter of taste. While CJ doesn't like poetry that doesn't rhyme perfectly, Shufitz prefers his DDs well-metered and composed with perfection. He doesn't even like the 6-syllable name to be one that isn't commonly used. For example, my double dactle about "Richard the Englishman" didn't work, in his mind, because Richard is not known as "the Englishman". For me(perhaps because I wrote the DD?!), that is going too far!

I can only say that I am glad I am in DC now because I can imagine his response to "Wordcrafter Board Posters"! Eek

At any rate, this was all in fun, at least from me! Big Grin Wink

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, T., I prefer your first version. It's got a bit more edge to it and, I do admit, I also think it shows a sharp insight on your part. "Semi-good-naturely," indeed!

Clarence!! Take Me Back, Clarence!!!
Higgledy-Piggeldy
Lionel Barrymore
As Mister Potter had
No friends or wife.

George Bailey fought him most
Uncompromisingly.
Showed Bedford Falls It's a
Wonderful Life.

Glisten!! Glisten!! Oh my, I am proud of this one!
A gem! A bulls-eye! An A+!!

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:

_Clarence!! Take Me Back, Clarence!!!_
Higgledy-Piggeldy
Lionel Barrymore
As Mister Potter had
No friends or wife.

George Bailey fought him most
Uncompromisingly.
Showed Bedford Falls _It's a_
_Wonderful Life._

Glisten!! Glisten!! Oh my, I _am_ proud of this one!
A gem! A bulls-eye! An A+!!

As former queen I must put my two cents in. I don't think it's A+. It's good, but could be better. I have a problem with "George Bailey found him most uncompromisingly" That doesn't make any sense. George Bailey could fnd him "egomaniacal" or "kleptomaniacal" (perfect meter/flow) since the definition of that is "Obsessive impulse to steal regardless of economic need." Because he did find the $8000 that Uncle Billy lost and he kept it and he sure didn't need that money. But I run on...

The former QHS

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Miscellaneous:

CJ: Why ask for help especially from the Brits? Because, as you say, "They may have their unique historical perspective on the events outlined." He's their guy, after all. Wink

CJ's Wonderful life: wonderful job there!

To Kalleh: Now please, hon.Smile I enjoy imperfection, and I'm greatful you can enjoy less-than-perfect me. And vice versa. As Robert Herrick wrote,
quote:
A sweet disorder in the dress
Kindles in clothes a wantonness:
A lawn about the shoulders thrown
Into a fine distraction:
An erring lace, which here and there
Enthrals the crimson stomacher:
A cuff neglectful, and thereby
Ribbons to flow confusedly:
A winning wave, deserving note,
In the tempestuous petticoat:
A careless shoe-string, in whose tie
I see a wild civily:
Do more bewitch me, than when art
Is too precise in every part.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:
As former queen I must put my two cents in.
Your two cents, regal or otherwise, are always welcome.

I don't think it's A+. No, sorry, it definitely is.

It's good, but could be better. Nope, don't think so.

I have a problem with "George Bailey found him most uncompromisingly" If you have a problem, oh, former beloved Queen, I suspect it would be less with George Bailey and more with your eyesight. That's "fought," not "found."

Because he did find the $8000 that Uncle Billy lost I seem to recall it as $3,000. Is our memory faltering as well?

But I run on... Yes, you do, both on this board and in some of my more interesting daydreams. Feel free to run on and on and on in both respects.

The former QHS
Regards, Your Humble (Ha!) Subject

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shufitz, I live with you. I know how you like absolute perfection in your double dactyls. That's all. You can tolerate imperfection in limericks, though you always have suggestions for improvement! Wink But, no, your DDs need to be perfect. End of story.

CJ, I did love your Wonderful Life DD. Big Grin

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by C J Strolin:

I have a problem with "George Bailey found him most uncompromisingly" _If you have a problem, oh, former beloved Queen, I suspect it would be less with George Bailey and more with your eyesight. That's "fought," not "found."_

Because he did find the $8000 that Uncle Billy lost _I seem to recall it as $_3_,000. Is our memory faltering as well?_

QUOTE]

Wow.... Boy, am I embarrassed! That's what I get for signing on while buzzed. Another linguistic victim of alcohol imbibition. You, dear CJ, are obviously rght on both counts. I'm so sorry I doubted your A+ness.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
But, no, your DDs need to be perfect. End of story.

I totally agree. The score in a perfect game in bowling is 300. You manage a 299 and, I'm sorry, it's not a perfect game. Double dactyls are, by design, perfect. As such, the slightest imperfection results, ultimately, in abject failure.

With my Mister Rogers DD, I knew I was breaking the rule with the line "Mister Fred Rogers was" but it simply couldn't be helped. I still love that piece but were you to put a gun to my head and demand the total truth, I couldn't identify it as anything more than a failed DD. If only his last name could have been "Robinson"!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ,
I cannot tell you how many times I have wanted to write DDs about somebody's name who didn't fit. Shufitz calmly says, "No, Hon. Doesn't work. Don't push it." Now that I am in Washington DC, I may "push" it a bit! Wink I am desperately trying to do one about Florence Nightingale, to whom I will give a middle initial (I can predict Shufitz's frown now!)

Point is--Shufitz just wouldn't have written the Mr. Rogers DD.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nursery Cursery,
Florence C. Nightingale
Nursed in Crimean War,
Aiding the Brits.

Lessons to nurses are
Ultraconservative.
Nursing professors are
Pulling their tits. Eek

Ahem! I know, this is not very respectful. However, there are thoughts now that it is because of good old Flo that nurses have become "handmaidens" of physicians. Yet, I do not deny that she was an amazing lady who really founded nursing and even nursing research. She very carefully recorded the data from the Crimean War. Still, she is the reason nurses began to study under doctors and in hospitals, rather than in universities.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
higgeldy piggeldy
Nickie Copernicus
While you were out left a
Message quite terse:

You are affected by
Egocentricity
You're not the center of
The universe.

[ If at first (third?) you don't succeed ... quit! Don't make a fool of yourself ]

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Tue Mar 25th, 2003 at 8:54.]

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am desperately trying to do one about Florence Nightingale, to whom I will give a middle initial (I can predict Shufitz's frown now!)

Point is--Shufitz just wouldn't have written the Mr. Rogers DD.

Here's Another One Shufitz Would Never Write

Nursily-Mursily
Florence Q. Nightingale
Visited Kalleh with
Ghostly decree:

"Feel free to write dactyls
"UnShufitzisticly.
"Middle initials are
"OK by me!"

A "B+" plus an additional half a grade for the coining of "unShufitzisticly" plus another half a grade for precision targeting - the writing of a piece which Kalleh will like but which will made Shufitz mumble under his breath. All in all, an "A".

(Heh, heh, heh!)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny story about that. I am now in Savannah so I called Shufitz and read my DD to him. He said, "Did you at least have the right initial?" It pains me to say I didn't. However, I dociley explained to him that I did go to several Web sites to find the middle initial, but couldn't. Interestingly, one of those Web sites had a forum where people post about Flo. Would they have a fit if they saw my DD! Razz

One comment about your "A", CJ. What about the meter in your 4th line?

BTW, I give myself a B because of errors with the middle initial, no "the" in the third line, "ultraconservative" is not quite the right word--and it is a bit too risque.

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Tue Mar 25th, 2003 at 16:49.]

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
hippety hoppety
Miss Margaret M. Mitchell
Wrote of the Southland, where
Cotton was ginned

Miss Scarlett O'Hara
The Lady from Tara
Pyrotechnology
Gone with the wind

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Fri Mar 28th, 2003 at 14:53.]

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Gemini hemini
Rodgers & Hammerstein
Gilbert & Sullivan
Lewis & Clark

Gazing at geysers with
Compatibility
Prickly pairs grizzly bears
Yellowstone Park

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
One comment about your "A", CJ. What about the meter in your 4th line?

What about the fourth line? "GHOST-ly de-CREE," or maybe you're not pronouncing the "L" in "ghostly" and that's throwing you off somehow? And was there any comment from hubby? It's not every day that a person is transformed into an adverb...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was out of town for 8 days so I am sure you can understand that when Shufitz and I got together, we did not discuss your double dactyls! Big Grin

I had the line wrong. I was wondering about the meter of the fifth line:

"Feel free to write dactyls"

posted Hide Post
quote:
I was out of town for 8 days so I am sure you can understand that when Shufitz and I got together, we did not discuss your double dactyls! Big Grin

Red Face Wink Cool

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Boyfooty bearfooty
John Greenleaf Whittier
Sharing his genuine
Feelings of joy

Turning up pantaloons
Hypernostalgically
Wading in happiness
"The Barefoot Boy"

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was out of town for 8 days so I am sure you can understand that when Shufitz and I got together, we did not discuss your double dactyls!

First off, if I ever meet the woman for whom double dactyls are foreplay, I'll propose marriage on the spot. (Actually, as TrossL urged in a previous limerick, I actually seldom splatter so there might not be a spot, but you get the idea.)

I had the line wrong. I was wondering about the meter of the _fifth_ line:

"Feel free to write dactyls"

In normal speech, the stress would be irregular and fall something like "FEEL FREE to write DACtyls" but for the purpose of the DD "FEEL free to WRITE dactyls" is just barely imperfect and so, I thought, passible. Even though I thought it deserved an "A" overall, you're right. That one minor flaw probably makes this one a non-A. (sigh...)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Higgledy, Piggledy,
Wordcrafter's matchmaker
Recommends men to some
Women who seek
Love, somewhat fearfully.
Vulnerability?
Creditability?
Is he a geek?

I promised you!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Flippety floppety
Admiral Poindexter
Guilty of lying to
Save Ollie North

Warrantless searches are
Unconstitutional
That's why we celebrate
July the Fourth

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
Higgledy, Piggledy,
Wordcrafter's matchmaker
Recommends men to some
Women who seek
Love, somewhat fearfully.
Vulnerability?
Creditability?
Is he a geek?

Mumbledy-grumbledy.
Kalleh the poetess
Contemplates men and asks,
"Is he a geek?"

Kindly display greater
Impersonality! Mad
Keep me anonymous.

-- hic et ubique Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Aw, Hic, nobody on this forum is a geek! I'd be proud to recommend you to some wonderful woman. Wink

Higgledy Piggledy
Hoot of Augusta golf
Keeps (prejudicially)
Women from play.
Women are pressuring
Hootie to stop living
Anachronistically
Back in the day.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thievery Grievery
Mesopotamian
Artifacts taken bring
Tears to our eyes.
Civilization and
Writing were started here.
Archeologically,
Say our good-byes. Frown

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russia shared secrets with Iraq: Secret documents found in Baghdad show that Russia provided Saddam Hussein's regime with wide-ranging assistance leading up to the war, including intelligence on private conversations between British Prime Minister Tony Blair and other Western leaders.
- David Harrison, Baghdad, April 14 2003

Odious Soviet!
Commissar Vladimir
Putin shared secrets with
Saddam Hussein.

Decades of trusting to
Geopolitical
Cooperation have
Gone down the drain.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Former POW warmer now
Army Clerk Jessica
Captured in Nasinyah
Ambush attack

Who would have thought that her
Hometown is Palestine
West-By-God-Virginia
Far from Iraq

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/correspondent/3028585.stm

please click here for an update

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Sun May 18th, 2003 at 12:21.]

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:
Still he seeked answers 'til
Death he did find.

"Seeked"??! "SEEKED"?!?!?

(Otherwise, an "A")

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Otherwise, an "A")

Boy, I am on the wrong page then for double dactyls--par for the course. By the mere definition "double dactyl", I would think the meter needs to be perfect. "Tim Leary, PhD", at least in the way I pronounce it, just doesn't meet those standards. Now--I realize that TrossL is very talented, and I truly don't mean to criticize her. However, your grade of A confuses me; I'd say "solid 'B'". Perhaps I am mispronouncing the name. Confused After all, CJ, I know you to be a perfectionist because of your stand on rhymes.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Clearly CJ normally impeccable judgement is affected by a perfectly natural bias favoring TrossL.

CJ, did you ever consider becoming an Olympic judge of women's figure skating? Wink

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Infallibility?
Pontifex Maximus
Speaking of birth control
Thus does advise:

"If you're not gifted with
Impregnability,
Inscrutability's
Probably wise."

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Essayist Messiah-ist
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eschewing quotations
From the book shelf

Says we can live
Autoreliantly.
Depend not on others.
Do it yourself.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great one, Hic! Big Grin

Higgledy Piggledy
TrossL and CJS
Post their great poems for us,
and they connect.
Common idolatry,
Familiarity,
Panegyrically,
Public respect.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Jerry, that is suberb! Fine form; insightful in comment, and with a creative twist in the first line that works both as nonsense-sylabble and as content.

My hat is off to you.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Thanks, shufits. Your comment means a lot to me.

~~~ jerry

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
First of all, let me make myself perfectly clear, I love Jerry's double dactyl.

However, once again I have a technical question. Shufitz, Shufitz, Shufitz, you were my teacher. What about lines 5 & 7? Is it okay to have 4 syllables in line 5? Secondly, is the meter correct in line 7? Or--because of the strength of the content, are you allowing the freedom? I do agree the content is wonderful, and that is where I seem to falter sometimes. And, I know, Shufitz hates my last one because the second part doesn't have a complete sentence. Sheeesh!

Anyone out there interested? How about using "Shufitz Perfectionist"?

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
You're probably right about the imperfecton of my emersonian DD, Kalleh, but don't take it out on Shufits!!

I'm guilty of having believed that line five must have four syllables, not six.

Here's a second attempt. Perhaps this will raise my deplorable grade-point average. Maybe not.

Essayist Messiah-ist
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eschewing quotations
From the book shelf

Tells us to write our stuff
Autoreliantly.
Don't trust in others. Just
Do it yourself.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Modelay modelty
Motor Lord Henry Ford
Used just four cylinders
All lined up straight

Finally realized
Automechanically,
"Otherwise, I could have
Had a Vee Eight!"

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Fri Apr 18th, 2003 at 15:31.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Aw, come on guys. This is the second time this week we have had complaints about spelling/typing errors. As they say on Sesame Street: "Everyone makes mistakes so why can't I?"

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Kalleh posted:
As they say on Sesame Street: "Everyone makes mistakes so why can't I?"

er, hon?

quote:
If you spill a glass of milk all over the floor
Well your Mom and Dad still like you just as much as they did before
Cause when Mom and Dad were just as small as you
I'll bet that they knocked their milk over too.

Cause everyone makes mistakes, oh yes they do.
Your sister and your brother and your dad and mother too.
Big people, small people
Matter of fact all people
Everyone makes mistakes so why can't you?

Come to think of it, I guess you can! Big Grin Maybe you need some grandchildren around the house to refresh your memory. Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, thanks, Shufitz for finding that. I have always loved that song as it is so true to life.

And, I am sure no one here would ever believe me to be old enough to be a grandmother! So there! Razz

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
Clearly CJ normally impeccable judgement is affected by a perfectly natural bias favoring TrossL.

Not so, but Kalleh brings up a good point.

Yes, I am very much a stickler for preciseness when it comes to rhyming BUT, on the other hand, I freely admit to being more flexible when it comes to meter especially concerning poetic formats which are firmly established and well known. Since we know that the stress of the first line of a double dactyl is "DAH-da-da DAH-da-da," is seems OK to me to start out one with "TIM leary P hd" even though this is certainly not how I would pronounce it in normal conversation.

You're right though, Kalleh. To receive an "A" (if we're going to go back to friendly grading again, though that's another debate altogether) a double dactyl really should have its meter set in such a way as to be perfectly recitable as if one were speaking normally.

Regarding my supposed bias towards TrossL, the fact that I consider most of her writing to be infinitely superior to most of the rest of what is posted here (including, alas, my own humble contributions) has nothing to do with me knowing her personally some 15 years ago. Her stuff is just damn good! I also consider almost everything that Hic et Ubique and Museamuse write to be of the highest quality - now if we could only increase the quantity a bit!

And Shufitz, Please!! You establish yourself as a perfectionist and then heap praise upon one of J.T.'s (let's be kind here) lesser efforts? I can't help but think that this was an attempt to provoke an outraged response from me. I choose not to rise to that bait.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't help but think that this was an attempt to provoke an outraged response from me. I choose not to rise to that bait.
No, I don't think that is true at all, though I realize that I am treading on perilously thin ice myself here--since Shufitz is my husband! However, Shufitz is not that type at all; he never goads people as others sometimes do on this site.

This is a sensitive subject because it seems that I (or whoever) am questioning certain people's talent--and that's not the case. I prefer for this to be a scholarly discussion, rather than pokes and prods at people. I cannot agree with you that meter in double dactyls shouldn't be perfect, considering the essence of a double-dactyl. I especially find this curious when you are so bent on perfect rhymes in limericks, of all things.

Further, I think we can all freely admit that love of poetry, limericks, double dactyls, art, whatever--is in the eye of the beholder. While, certainly there is a difference between Monet and some amateur artist, those kind of disparities in talent don't exist on this board. You prefer some of the double dactyls, and I prefer others--though I am not going to highlight those authors whom I prefer. I would rather just enjoy the double dactyls and leave it at that. When we drool over some and say nothing about others, well, it can't help but be offensive. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Xanadu Manitou
Samuel T Coleridge
Selling a pleasure dome
In Xanadu

Offered such real estate,
Psycholinguistically,
Living in poverty,
What can one do?