Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Passport to the pub
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passport to the pub Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
This is a little out of date (it was published in 1996) but is still worth reading. It is also well-written for a scholarly work.

http://www.sirc.org/publik/pub.html

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Thanks, arnie: that was a good read.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A new field - anthropubigist? Very interesting, arnie!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bea
posted Hide Post
Slightly off-topic but I like this sign I saw in a pub:

"We don't mind children.
We expect their guardians to."

Bea

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I think that's on topic, Bea. Funny!

Nice read, arnie. I remember when I was in London for the first time, going to a pub and trying to buy the bartender (or whatever they call them in England) a beer and his refusing to take it. I guess he was being nice because I am an American.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Oh, I think that's on topic, Bea. Funny!

Nice read, arnie. I remember when I was in London for the first time, going to a pub and trying to buy the bartender (or whatever they call them in England) a beer and his refusing to take it. I guess he was being nice because I am an American.

For the benefit of those who are not familiar with British pub culture, bar staff here do not expect to be tipped; tipping is very much the exception rather than the rule in a pub. This is very different from the USA and Canada, where a tip of 20% is not unusual - and is expected. In part this is due to the history of the pub and the name itself gives a clue.

The term "pub" is an abbreviation of "public house" and the original public houses were private residences to which the public were admitted to sample the owner's beer - which would usually be made on the premises (often by the owner's wife). Although this concept is an old one and there are few pubs of nature extant (although there has been a revival in "brewpubs" in recent years) the old name still persists and, typically, the man who owns or runs the pub is known as "The Landlord".

As you would never think to tip your neighbour when you went round for drinks, you don't tip the Landlord of a pub. However, as you might take a bottle of something to your neighbour's house, it is considered acceptable to offer to buy the Landlord (or anyone behind the bar) a drink. Usually they will accept the offer - although obviously they can't drink every drink they're offered (and in some pubs it is against the rules of the house to drink behind the bar - although there are no legal restrictions on this - as there are in Canada). So what many Landlords and bar staff will do when offered a drink is to say something like, "I'm not ready for one right now - but I'll have a half with you later" And they will add the price of a drink to your bill. Obviously this is a tip in all but name - but the practice preserves the mystique of the pub tradition.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I got my information from a travel book on England. It said to always offer the bartender a drink. Is that wrong?

For the record, I would much rather not tip and instead to just pay more for my meal or haircut or cab or whatever. Sometimes I don't know whom I should tip (Should I tip the lady who does my hair and the hair washer? If so I am tipping more than 20%. Yet, many do tip both.) or how much (Shu says that liquor should get less of a tip since it has a huge markup, for example.) It gets all complicated.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
It said to always offer the bartender a drink. Is that wrong?

Not really wrong, but they don't expect you to offer a drink every time.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It would be as unusual to offer to buy the barstaff a drink every times in the UK, as it would be never to tip in the USA.

Most UK drinkers never offer to buy the barstaff a drink and are thought no worse of for that (for the reasons I have explained above). But if you feel good about the service or some other apsect of the relationship, then it's quite in order to offer to buy the barstaff a drink. You would usually only tip in cash if there was a sit-down meal with service involved; then you might add a modest tip to the bill.

But following the advice in your book will cause no difficulties or embarrassment to anyone involved, whether the offer be accepted or declined.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
RE explains above that 'public houses' were originlly private homes opened to the public. Were English 'public schools' once private schools opened to the public?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bea
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bethree5:
RE explains above that 'public houses' were originlly private homes opened to the public. ... [QUOTE]

It is still quite common in smaller Irish communities to have a business - mostly shops-cum-pubs like the one in Shannonbridge - that has a license to sell drink; in Crossmolina, where I used to have a holiday cottage, there was a workshop / hardware place, approx 25 qm in size with such a license and they had 3 bottles behind the counter which they were allowed to serve shots from.

I fondly recall a private house in Kenmare, owned by a toothless elderly woman who invited strangers into her front room for a wee drink.

Bea

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I fondly recall a private house in Kenmare, owned by a toothless elderly woman who invited strangers into her front room for a wee drink.

Grandma? Is that you?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
For a "wee drink"...now that's a phrase you'd not see in the U.S. I like it, though.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Were English 'public schools' once private schools opened to the public?

Yes, essentially.

posted Hide Post
This sort of fits here - kinda: Culled from another site: Somewhere, in a parallel universe near you, people read books, scientists are treated like rock stars, and beer is not sold in 30 can value packs. --Sign in a bar in Muncie, Indiana

I have no idea where this bar is.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post