Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    A good trick if you can do it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good trick if you can do it Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
From my local newspaper this evening.

quote:

Reforms allowing pubs and clubs to open for 36 hours on New Year's Eve come into force tomorrow.

I've been wanting to get more sleep lately - these new 36 hour days should come in handy.

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kind of like the advertisements for a particular car that sells in the US. They want to emphasize its reliability by saying "24/7/365". Hmmmmm, 24 hour days, 7 days a week, 365 weeks a year?!? roll eyes

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sometimes don't you wonder how all these ignoramuses keep their jobs?!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
If competence were a requisite for keeping a job, neither of our countries would have any politicians!

Although having said which, our present government has at last agreed to remove the last vestiges of the Defence of the Realm Act (DORA) which was enacted in 1917 by that noted teetotal philanderer Lloyd George. DORA ensured that all pub had to close as instructed by the government and, until about fifteen years ago, this meant that it was impossible to get a drink in the afternoon.

That's now gone, but pubs are still not allowed to sell drink before 1100 or after 2300. We are all hoping that they will soon be allowed to sell drink when their customers want it - not when the government say that can have it!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Reforms allowing pubs and clubs to open for 36 hours on New Year's Eve come into force tomorrow.

Similarly there is the old Steven Wright line:

I went to a convenience store that had a big sign that said 24 hours but when I got there, the guy was locking the front door.

I said, "Hey, the sign says '24 hours'" but the guy just looked at me and said "Not in a row!"

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Richard's post reminded me of a story:
When I was married, my betrothed's uncle, who ran a restaurant and bar, offered to supply all the champagne. Since we were having a champagne brunch, it was rather important to have enough. My caterer warned me not to allow any family member to bring the champagne because she thought there could be a problem. I bowed to my in-laws' wishes, and the uncle brought the champagne. Even though he knew how many people were coming and he ran a bar, he brought waaaay too few bottles. Never fear, my dad would run out (now it is only 1 hour before the ceremony--and on a Sunday) and buy some. We then found out that the entire north shore was dry! No liquor at all was sold, except at restaurants for dinner. My caterer was "tsk" "tsking" all day! frown

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
One of the interesting things about drinking is that the consumption per person increases as the number of drinkers increases.

For a person dining alone, a glass or maybe two is enough; for a couple, a bottle is about right (that's three classes each). For a group of four, then probably two litre bottles (four glasses each) would be consumed. For a group of ten, then ten bottles will probably be swallowed!

It was this phenomenon that upset your uncle's plans.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went to a convenience store that had a big sign that said 24 hours but when I got there, the guy was locking the front door.

If a store is open 24/7, every day of the year, then why would it have a lock on the front door? wink