Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    He was a daft and clever whore.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

He was a daft and clever whore. Login/Join

posted
I thought you might enjoy reading this from Blooming English by Kate Burridge.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tinman. That looks like a fascinating book.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
What an excellent way to illustrate for students that language is a moving target!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
We have discussed the works of Professor Burridge (link) on occasion (link). I gave a talk at at professional conference (link) in Palm Springs, CA, a couple of years ago, and Burridge was the invited linguist and keynote speaker. I also accompanied her and the other Australians at the conference (and a bunch of fellow travelers) on an Aussie cultural event, a pub crawl. She also wrote a sequel to Blooming English, Weeds in the Garden of Words: further observations on the tangled history of the English language. Her book on euphemisms and dysphemisms (co-authored with Keith Allen) is a great read, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post