Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Oops! (For those who don't read my blog)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oops! (For those who don't read my blog) Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Here's a little snippet from the Guardian web site.

"A study to raise awareness of geography found that two thirds of people (65%) mistakenly believe Britain is made up of four countries, rather than the correct three: England, Scotland and Wales."

Here's another quote, giving slightly different information.

"Britain,UK: These terms are synonymous. Britain is the official short form of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland... Great Britain, however,refers only to England, Wales and Scotland."

The source of the second quote?
Why The Guardian Book of English Language, a condensed version of the Guardian's own Style Manual. Oops!

(To be fair they do, elsewhere in the article refer to it as Great Britain but rather than treating Britain and UK as synonymous they treat Britain and Great Britain as synonymous.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Why can't you people choose one name and stick to it? Razz

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why can't you people choose one name and stick to it?

There are so many names for our archipelago, that the nomenclature is truly confusing.

Most people agree that the geographical term for the entire archipelago is the British Islands - including the Republic of Ireland (although the Irish often disagree).

Then there are various terms for the different subdivisions: Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales); The United Kingdom (Great Britain and Northern Ireland). The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are part of the British Islands but not part of the United Kingdom.

Confused? You should be!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I've heard of the "British Isles", but I don't think I've ever heard "British Islands".

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The Wikipedia article (link) on the geographical and political terminology for this group of Islands and countries is interesting and informative.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard of the "British Isles", but I don't think I've ever heard "British Islands".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Islands

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post