Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am on the east coast, and, as always, I am enamored with their accents. When the speaker announced where the bathrooms were, she pointed and said they're in the "hall." My first reaction was that she said "hole," and I even went so far as to think, "Oh, they must be bad." Then I realized. Roll Eyes

But my favorite is "water." I've decided that for one 2-syllable-only word, that word must have the most going on with an Eastern (and perhaps English) accent than any other. First there is the "a" that has a bit of an "r" in it. Then the "t" that slides, ever so subtly, to a "d." Then the climax...the ending "r," which this time stays an "a." I could listen to this accent all day. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Where are you on the East Coast? NYC? Here in the Philadelphia region, the true natives pronounce it "wuerter!"

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
In Rhode Island, we call it Evian.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in soggy Oregon we don't call it - it shows up uninvited from above.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Water can be a good drink, provided it's diluted with around 5% of alcohol.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Sounds like NYC-area, Kalleh? To my ears, the Boston-area "water" sounds like wahttah (cf Bette Davis, wahttah dump)

I suppose natives of the Second City are too sophisticated, but my dad's family (from a part of Indiana not far away from Chicago) pronounces "washcloth"... "warshrag". (!)

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Washrag? You must have been gentry. We generally just spit on our hands.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are you on the East Coast?
I was in Concord, New Hampshire (just got back tonight). The problem is that some are there from New Jersey or New York or Boston, so the accent is all mixed up. No matter where they're from, though, people in the East seem to pronounce water very interestingly. Now I want to have a Wordcraft Gathering so that I can see how our English friends pronounce it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I want to have a Wordcraft Gathering so that I can see how our English friends pronounce it.

Nothing like the way most Americans pronounce it, I'm quite sureWink

I pronounce it with the first syllable using the British "OR" or "AW" sound, as in "sort" or "paw". But the problem is that American pronounce that combination more like we would say "ar" as in "lard". I don't believe that US English uses the British "or" sound.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
so that I can see how our English friends pronounce it.

That is variable and depends on our particicular dialect and ethnolect. IIRC there's a scene in My Fair Lady when Professor Higgins tries to teach Eliza how to pronounce "water" his (upper-class) way. Eliza's accent is, of course, a greatly-exaggerated cockney.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eliza's accent is, of course, a greatly-exaggerated cockney

Indeed - but the first syllable was still "or", even though the rest of the word, complete with glottal stop, was non-standard. Something like "wor'ah" as I recall.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Of course in my neck of the woods its

"wear-tah"

Big Grin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post