Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Attention Kalleh: e-word sighting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attention Kalleh: e-word sighting Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Take a look at the MailOnline page here. Scroll down past halfway to the section headed "There's a word for these Twitter trolls...".

Interstingly, the word is glossed as '...
a malicious desire to try to make those enjoying greater success feel as miserably trapped and oppressed as themselves’, which is rather closer to Tall Poppy Syndrome in my view.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Maybe the author was unaware of the English term schadenfreude. He certainly seems unfamiliar with the concept. Perhaps the e-word will take off now, but with this newer, secondary meaning.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, arnie. Thank you!

I was thinking of epicaricacy just the other day because I have received almost no Google Alerts for the word in months. Before I'd receive one at least every few weeks. Do you have to renew your Google Alerts?

The definition is a stretch, I agree, but certainly similar. It would be strange if the author had heard of epicaricacy and not the more common German loanword for the definition, Schadenfreude.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hmm, this sighting of the rare e-word is reminding me of our long-dormant double dactyl threads. Didn't you author one featuring this exotic word, Kalleh?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, and I love DDs. I often come up with them at home. Shu will get a sparkle in his eye and say, "Isn't that a double dactyl word?" and then we'll go to it!

I just went to my Google Alerts and epicaricacy is alive and well. I'm not sure why that article didn't come up.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Well let's get those DD's up & running, Kalleh! Don't hide your light under a bushel. Throw one on the Page...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I did. Who's up next?