Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Lakoff on framing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lakoff on framing Login/Join

posted
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/01/25-0

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even the language was a disaster. Liberals thought that conservatives would like consumer choice. That's why they used "public option." As Harry Reid said, "It's public and it's an option - a public option." But what did a conservative hear in the words "public option?" Say "public" and he hears "government." "Option" is a policy-wonk term, from the language of bureaucracy. Say "public option" and the conservative hears "government bureaucracy."
The weird thing is that the Conservatives don't want to give up their social security, medicare, veteran's benefits, etc. They really don't know what "government" means.

As z and I were discussing on the chat last week, political discourse in the U.S. has fallen as low as I hope it ever gets.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can get lower. Heck, Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton got to the point of shooting at each other! Burr won, but Hamilton's influence was far greater. You can more or less thank him for Wall Street.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
You can more or less thank him for Wall Street.

I put far more blame on the greedy nature of humans ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Before the Civil War (an oxymoron if I've ever heard one) a southern Representative severely beat a northern Representative with a cane after they got into an argument about abolition.

Capped the "R" in representative to show it was the federal legislature.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
You can more or less thank him for Wall Street.

I put far more blame on the greedy nature of humans ...

I meant that it was Hamilton who championed the monetary system we have.