Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardest Book Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was watching a movie that talked about the "hardest book in the English Language." What do you think it is, Wordcrafters?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's probably not the "hardest", but for me Finnegan's Wake is the least accessible.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Interesting that that should be your choice tsuwm. Before I'd looked at your reply my instant first choice was Ulysses, and I haven't read Finnegan's Wake to make a comparison between the two.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
My guess is the Bible.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dante's Divine Comedy comes to mind - the English version, that is.

Posts: 52 | Location: Raleigh, NCReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Joyce muddled my mind too! More recently Umberto Eco takes top honors.

As for the bible, maybe there was good reason why the pre-reformation church didn't want commoners reading it! Sheesh!!! Confused Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Ulysses was very entertaining and not too difficult. Finnigans Wake is entertaining but who knows what's going on.

posted Hide Post
Joyce is tough. Conrad is pretty dense. I understood the plot of Heart of Darkness, but there was quite a bit going on under the surface that I missed entirely.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll add to that John Dewey. We read a several paragraph snippet of him in an English class and the average word length must have been the greatest by a wide margin I've ever seen. A PhD in English once told me he didn't understand Dewey until he'd been teaching for 20 years. When it requires 10 years of school and 20 years of teaching to understand something, I'd have to say that's pretty hard.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's probably not the "hardest", but for me Finnegan's Wake is the least accessible.
Tsuwm, that was the book mentioned in the movie. Good call! I agree about Joyce being tough.

Not so tough, but hard to keep track of all the Russian names, is "War and Peace."

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Not so tough, but hard to keep track of all the Russian names, is "War and Peace."

Actually I found it hard to care. I've tried to read the book several times and lost interest less than fifty pages in every time.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyway, we only read it in translation; the original was in Russian, of course. I imagine Russians have much less trouble with the names. Possibly they'd have trouble with English names. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
In my second year of high school, I tried without success to read Marx's Capital. I also, later on at university, found Sydney's Arcadia to be unreadable.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Possibly they'd have trouble with English names.
Well, the problem with Tolstoy (and Dostoevsky, too) is that there are so many names...and they're so long. I can't think of any books by English authors like that, but then I haven't read every single book that has been written. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
... I haven't read every single book that has been written.

And why not?

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
... I haven't read every single book that has been written.

Huh! And you call yourself a word lover?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
"hardest book in the English Language."

They're all hard when they fall onto your toes.

quote:
I haven't read every single book that has been written.

I haven't either - and thank goodness! You'd be surprised, though, how many folks think that Librarians HAVE read every book in the library.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Back to John Dewey... I will toss after him every writer about "aesthetics" (and other completely dense misnomered 'theories' of philosophy) that it has been my misfortune to plow through over the years-- and allow me to toss on the heap Marx, Hegel, Marcuse, & all the French philosophers except Sartre (whose style is crystal-clear). My comment is exactly that of BobHale regarding "War and Peace":
quote:
Actually I found it hard to care. I've tried to read the book several times and lost interest less than fifty pages in every time.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'd be surprised, though, how many folks think that Librarians HAVE read every book in the library.
That reminds me of a time when my daughter and I were in a very large, 3-story Borders. My daughter wanted a book, but she couldn't remember the author, the title, nor much about it, though she did remember that it was yellow. I told her I'd ask for the clerk to help, and my daughter jumped all over me. How stupid could I be?! How would the clerk ever know the book when we knew so little about it. Well, my daughter acted like she didn't know me, but I asked the clerk with the small amount of information I had about the book. I don't know why...but as luck would have it, the clerk immediately said, "Oh, I think I know," and went right to it!

I still chuckle when I remember the look of shock on my daughter's face.