Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Chomsky's movie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chomsky's movie Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Not sure that I'll see this animated movie of Noam Chomsky, but it sounds intriguing. If anyone here sees it, I'd love to know your reaction.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG I wanna see this. It's an animated film about Chomsky and linguistics directed by the director of The Chemical Brothers video "Let Forever Be".

The title is "Is the Man who is Tall Happy?" This is an example of recursive embedding. One clause ("the man is tall") is embedded inside another clause ("is the man happy?"). I think that Chomsky has claimed that recursive embedding is a special feature of language.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for pointing that out, Goofy. I was sure there was something about the title that was more than what was obvious, but I don't have the background to identify it.

While it will likely play in my previous location (Portland, Oregon) it will likely be banned here in Fundamentalistville. What's that means of viewing it that they mention at the end? I don't know about it. Something like You tube?

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VOD: video on demand, eg Netflix.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, heck. Maybe now I'll see it.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting. I do like the feature films of Gondry which I have seen.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be cool if we could all see it together? I know it won't happen, but I can fantasize, can't I?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Chomsky, here is an article from today's NY Times. I don't agree with it, though.