Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Drunken Driving
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drunken Driving Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Just today I again read an article about someone who was charged with "drunken driving." The term "drunken driving" never has seemed right to me. I realize that "drunken" is an adjective and "driving" is a noun, so I am not sure what is bothering me about it. Does anyone else feel that way?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It seems fine and normal to me. However, if you stop to think about it, it's not the driving that's drunk, it's the driver.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Driving while intoxicated" takes longer to say and uses more ink, thus the shorthand term - or so I suppose.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Aha! You are right, arnie. That's it! I bet the author of Proof's article wouldn't like that use. Wink

<Proofreader>
posted
My pet peeve is "The car lost control and hit the house." Obviously it's the driver who loses control, not the car.

Again, the other day our local paper had a story about "the car fired five shots and drove away." Now that is a dangerous vehicle.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I can see that a car can't fire shots, but doesn't the car lose control? I realize the driver does, too.

[Edited typo]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

<Proofreader>
posted
The car is inanimate and cannot gain control, unless some AI is involved.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I see your point. My mistake.

posted Hide Post
quote:
However, if you stop to think about it, it's not the driving that's drunk, it's the driver.

I am not sure I buy this explanation. What if I say the "The man was known for his fast driving."? Isn't this analogous to "The man was known for his drunken driving." In these two examples, the adjectives "fast" and "drunken" refer to the driving, not the driver.

The point is the term "drunken driving" is not saying the driving is "drunk", but rather, that it is "drunken".

Of course, the term "drunk driving" is very common, and again, I believe this use does actually describe the driving, and says nothing about the driver! Of course, "drunk driving" does require a drunk driver to actually produce it! Egad!

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
If we want to be pedantic, as mentioned earlier, 'drunken' is an adjective modifying a verb. An adverbial form, 'drunkenly' would perhaps be preferable, giving us 'He was arrested for driving drunkenly'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And - we do like to be pedantic here, don't we? Wink

posted Hide Post
It depends on just how pedantic we want to be. In this instance I suggest that "driving" is not a verb, but a noun gerund formed from the verb "drive". Thus either "drunk" in "drunk driving" or "drunken" in "drunken driving" would be adjectives describing the noun gerund "driving".

The whole construction of the sentence clearly uses "driving" as a noun. The following two sentences are grammatically parallel:

"The man was arrested for utter carelessness."
"The man was arrested for drunken driving."

... or so I see it, anyway.

BTW, adjectives don't modify verbs, adverbs do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WeeWilly,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Is there a difference between being pedantic and being prescriptive in language? I am thinking there is no difference, but I could be convinced otherwise.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a difference between being pedantic and being prescriptive in language? I am thinking there is no difference, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Possibly not, but I am unclear how this applies to the discussion. The point is that, as used in the sentence "The man was arrested for drunken driving", driving is not a verb, but a noun (a "noun gerund" from the verb "drive"), and "drunken" is an adjective describing it! That is simply the explanation of the particular grammar at work here. So, is this pedantic, or simply an explanation in response to a question? Big Grin

"Drunken driving", or the more common "drunk driving" is an offense like "careless driving", "driving without due care and attention", or "robbery", and is noun, able to stand alone as a noun, in the absence of any "performing agency" - as it were. The following illustrates:

"Drunken driving is among society's biggest scourges!"

Cheers.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Related to pedantic, I was just responding to arnie above.