Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    describing a room on one's own
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

describing a room on one's own Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
Professor Zwicky, over at Language Log, has an interesting post about the use of avoidance asterisks versus real ones in a controversy over grading a GCSE exam (link).
quote:
The news stories had to cope with reporting the obscenity, and that's of interest to us here at Language Log Plaza. In addition, the examiner compared the inappropriateness of the obscenity to the inappropriateness of using [the] preposition to with the adjective different — and such judgments on usage are another perennial topic here on Language Log.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Yes. I read that and I wondered if, in the circumstances where someone had genuinely written an "f" followed by three asterisks rather than the full word for which avoidance asterisks are being used, someone quoting it could write "f*** (sic)" and be correctly understood.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, I read that, too. At least he pointed out that the couple of marks given for writing the obscenity was still a clear failing mark. Many of the tabloids here 'forgot' to mention that.

As was also mentioned in the post, different to has a long history of unchallenged use in English, until the mavens chose to challenge its use.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post