Wordcraft Community Home Page
idioms

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/7190052886

September 09, 2017, 21:49
Kalleh
idioms
I was reading about where "I'll give you a piece of my mind" came from and then got into idioms. Here is a good list. In reading some of those, I can certainly understand why non-English speakers have trouble with understanding them.
September 17, 2017, 20:16
Kalleh
What are your favorite idioms? I sometimes get confused if something is an idiom or just a saying, but I think an idiom is something that is understood in the language, but otherwise doesn't make sense, right? Like, when my mom used to say, "beauty is as beauty does," that's a saying. But on that idiom list, "Elvis has left the building" is clearly an idiom. Still, some of the others there seem pretty easy to figure out, so I am no longer so sure.
September 18, 2017, 05:50
goofy
As I understand it an idiom is a phrase where the meaning cannot be guessed from the constituent parts, like "kick the bucket".
September 18, 2017, 20:05
Kalleh
Yes, that's what I thought, too. However, when I read some of the ones on the list, they seemed to make sense, such as "the ball is in your court."

However, when I thought about it, maybe I am just used to them. Surely if someone doesn't know basketball and is just coming to an English-speaking country, they wouldn't get it.
October 12, 2017, 19:35
Kalleh
Now, this is a perfect one. One could never figure it out without knowing.