Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Patchwork Text Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
As I've said, I am writing a book chapter about collaboration and interprofessional communication. During my background reading, I have found some articles from the UK on "patchwork texting" as a vehicle for promoting collaboration and communication. I hadn't heard of this strategy before. Have any of you? Is it mostly used in the UK?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I have found some articles from the UK on "patchwork texting" as a vehicle for promoting collaboration and communication.

Interesting. This article (p.15) from Napier University Business School, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK treats collaboration as a positive, but "patchwork texting" as a form of plagarism.
quote:
"Standard" plagiarism. This involves cutting and pasting extracts from
articles into the answer with no reference at all in the text (no "citation")
nor in the Bibliography. This is sometimes known as “Patchwork Texting”.

This must not be the type of "patchwork texting" you're referring to.

Maybe this is.
quote:
The Patchwork Text, as an innovatory coursework assignment format, is intended as a practical response to current anxieties about assessment problems in higher education. The essence of a patchwork is that it consists of a variety of small sections, each of which is complete in itself, and that the overall unity of these component sections, although planned in advance, is finalised retrospectively, when they are ‘stitched together’. Thus, a ‘patchwork text’ assignment is one that is gradually assembled during the course of a phase of teaching and consists of a sequence of fairly short pieces of writing, which are designed to be as varied as possible and to cover the educational objectives of the teaching. Each of these short pieces of writing is shared within a small group of students as part of the teaching-learning process. At the end of the course, students add a reflexive commentary to the short pieces they have already written, which they may also, if they wish, revise and edit.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I found a lot of UK articles, too. The article I had read was entitled, "Using the patchwork text as a vehicle for promoting interprofessional health and social care collaboration in higher education," by Jayne Crow, Lesley Smith and Shirley Jones (I am not familiar with the initials after their names) from the Institute of Health and Social Care at Anglia Polytechnic University, Bishop Hall Lane, Chelmsford, Essex.

I haven't seen that writing modality used here in the U.S., though it sounds interesting. It seems that members of the class journal on their reflections in practice, and they share their entries, edit them based on what others' have said, and then write a collaborative summary. Or something.

I was surprised, though, Tinman to read about the plagiarism link. I'd better be care to explain it in my chapter.

Have any Americans heard of this teaching modality?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I found a lot of UK articles, too. The article I had read was entitled, "Using the patchwork text as a vehicl