Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Who gets to say, Ghetto?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who gets to say, Ghetto?" Login/Join

posted

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, how is "barrio" defined? And how about "shtetl?" What other enclaves of a particular ethnic nature are there, and who "owns" the terms?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shetetl is a Yiddish word for Jewish towns that existed in central and eastern Europe before the Holocaust.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Geoff this is an excellent article. So interesting, the way the word 'ghetto' shifts from negative to positive & back, depending on the social caché of being an ethnic enclave.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
shtetl

Yiddish שטעטל (shtel) means literally 'small city'; cf. German Stadt 'city'. Spanish barrio < Arabic barrī 'of an open area' < barr 'open area'; cf. Semitic root brr 'to be(come) clear, pure, white'.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bethree5, I'm surprised to find the person raising the issue to be of Chinese ancestry! It sure blows the word-related stereotypes!

Many thanks, Z, for the etymology. I hadn't considered an Arabic root for "barrio," yet there are so many of them in Spanish thanks to the Moorish occupation.

I wonder how history would have played out had Ferdinand and Isabella lost.