Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Gee, this is odd
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gee, this is odd Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
This will show how observant you are.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this has anything to do with many people's no longer being able to write the letter, "A"? Many now write "Λ" - the Greek letter lambda. For example, PBS runs a show that they verbally call, "NOVA," but spell "NOVΛ."

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
That may be design choice.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Gee! Big Grin I would also draw a blank if asked what the two versions of lower-case g were, unless they gave me a hint that the 2nd one is seen only in typewriting - especially if they suggested Times New Roman font. Still, knowing that, I might not be able to reproduce it w/o reference. But I had no trouble finding it among the 4 on the quiz.
I like this article because it taught me the name of the critter: loop-tail g.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
e it taught me the name of the critter: loop-tail g.
Isn't that a Dr Seuss character?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
“They don’t entirely know what this letter looks like, even though they can read it,” said cognitive science graduate student Gali Ellenblum. “This is not true of letters in general. What’s going on here?”

I think it’s because students of English writing are not taught about looptail g. Other letters look similar but we can tell them apart because we have been taught.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hope you are right, Goofy, because I failed to get it right. Frown

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post