Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Given the World Cup and all...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Given the World Cup and all... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In a recent NYT article on kids and sports, they talked about futsal that is played in Brazil on a tiny patch of grass or concrete. Apparently it's a miniaturized form of soccer. Have you heard of futsal? Do kids play it in England?

Speaking of soccer, I am particularly interested in the World Cup this year because our youngest daughter will be there. I read that the most pessimistic country about winning the World Cup is England. Kinda typical, right? Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soccer? I thought it was football, or, if you prefer, futbol, depending on whether you're English or Brasilian.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I thought it was football, or, if you prefer, futbol,

No, it's sheer boredom in motion.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I ought not grumble about who calls it what, according to this article: http://www.businessinsider.com...all-it-soccer-2014-6

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never seen it, but futsal is quite often played in Europe, and, I understand, is sometimes played here as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futsal

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't believe futsal is played here at all. I also didn't recognize parkour, but Shu did.

<Proofreader>
posted
I didn't know what parkour was until I stumbled across it here a while ago.

<Proofreader>
posted
Here is the explanation for why we call it "soccer" and not "football."

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Of course that's widely known. On the other hand I've never yet seen a convincing explanation of why you use "football" to describe a game where kicking the ball happens at most twice per score (kick off and field goal/ extra point) and is against the rules the rest of the time.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not widely known on this side of the pond, Bob. See my post above for a bit of an explanation of American "football." It seems to have evolved from Rugby. I had long wondered the same as you have; now I have some basic understanding of how it all came about.

I found it quite amusing to learn that until 1863 it was permitted to kick one's opponent!

<Proofreader>
posted
American football was much like rugby until the invention of the forward pass, which opened up the game immensely.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Still can't figure why it's called FOOTball though.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I did not know the history that Proof posted. I loved this comment:
quote:
By the 1980s, the Brits began to part with the term, apparently, because it had become too "American."
The British really don't like us, do they? Wink

Good question, Bob. The only thing I could find was that it developed from Rugby Football.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Still can't figure why it's called FOOTball though.

Wikipedia Wikipedia offers a possible explanation.

quote:
Although the accepted etymology of the word football, or "foot ball", originated in reference to the action of a foot kicking a ball, this may be a false etymology. An alternative explanation has it that the word originally referred to a variety of games in medieval Europe, which were played on foot.[6] These sports were usually played by peasants, as opposed to the horse-riding sports more often enjoyed by aristocrats. In some cases, the word has been applied to games which involved carrying a ball and specifically banned kicking. For example, the English writer William Hone, writing in 1825 or 1826, quotes the social commentator Sir Frederick Morton Eden, regarding a game — which Hone refers to as "Foot-Ball" — played in the parish of Scone, Perthshire:

The game was this: he who at any time got the ball into his hands, run [sic] with it till overtaken by one of the opposite part; and then, if he could shake himself loose from those on the opposite side who seized him, he run on; if not, he threw the ball from him, unless it was wrested from him by the other party, but no person was allowed to kick it.[7] [Emphasis added.]

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
USA! USAI guess it's not too hard to beat the other countries. Oh, sorry, England.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So it's not from Rugby Football?

posted Hide Post
From Wikipedia article on American football:
quote:
American football evolved in the United States, originating from the sport of rugby football. The first game of American football was played on November 6, 1869, between two college teams, Rutgers and Princeton, under rules resembling rugby and soccer. A set of rule changes drawn up from 1880 onward by Walter Camp, the "Father of American Football", established the snap, eleven-player teams and the concept of downs, and later rule changes legalized the forward pass, created the neutral zone and specified the size and shape of the football.

Etymology and names

In the United States, American football is referred to as "football".[2] The term "football" was officially established in the rulebook for the 1876 college football season, when the sport first shifted from soccer-style rules to rugby-style rules; although it could easily have been called "rugby" at this point, Harvard, one of the primary proponents of the rugby-style game, compromised and did not request the name of the sport be changed to "rugby".[3] In countries where other codes of football are popular, such as the United Kingdom and Australia, the terms "gridiron" or "American football" are favored.[4][5]

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I loved this Tribune editorial about Americans and soccer. If you can't access it, I'll copy and paste it. It explains why we were frustrated with a big game ending in a tie: we just don't get soccer.
quote:
There was no hooliganism after it ended. Maybe that's because many fans were slow to realize the game was over.
Here is our concept of soccer:
quote:
No, we don't take our soccer all that seriously here in the U.S. Halfway through Sunday's matchup against Portugal, in fact, we might have joked that it was time for someone's mom to trot out with the juice boxes and Rice Krispie treats.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

<Proofreader>
posted
Here is a local news story about team names.

Just realized I stuck this in the wrong thread. it should be in the "Redskins" one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There doesn't seem to be the ability built in to move an individual post between forums, only between threads in the same forum. I've therefore made a post on your behalf in the intended place.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I was amused to read a short article in my local paper saying that our American cousins, against their better judgment, seem to be enjoying the World Cup. Apparently nearly 25 million watched USA v Portugal, more than watched the final NBA game also shown that week.
quote:
Cue Yanks on blogs in denial: we really don't like it! This is a one-off! Soccer will never catch on! Etc, etc etc. Relax, guys, it's only a game. It doesn't make you any less macho and awesome to watch it.
Now that Germany has beaten USA 1-0 I wonder what future viewing figures will be?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Germany has beaten USA 1-0 I wonder

We can't stand such lop-sided victories.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Germany beat us, yes. But we're still in it. And that's another example of how the World Cup confuses us. Besides being able to tie in these really important games, you also can lose, but still move on. Were you able to access that Tribune editorial above? It was entitled, "Americans love soccer; they just don't get it." It was a hoot.

In all fairness, the NBA final games were lopsided this year (4-1), and that may be why there were more watching the World Cup. Still, I think your article is right. I was at our company outing last Friday, which was a Cubs baseball game on one of Wrigley Field's historic rooftops. When we went inside to get out of the sun there were big screen TVs that we thought would have the Cubs game. Nope. They all had the World Cup, with people watching that instead of the Cubs game.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
What exactly is it about league tables that you find so confusing? In regular season football (using the word in it's American sense) you don't need to win every game to be top of your Division. The first round of the World Cup is just played on a league basis rather than a straight knockout which would, of course, reduce the number of games played.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, that's true. There are specific series in other sports. It's just that to move on to the final 16 (or whatever they call it) with only one win seems a bit odd. But that's partly because they allow ties.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Did anyone see the Brazil/Columbia game today - and "the "hug?" That was pretty incredible.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
To bring this topic around to words...
I read in the papers that a Brazilian player, Neymar, got a knee in his back and suffered a fractured vertebrae (my italics). Surely that should be vertebra (singular)? I understand only one bone in his spine was broken.

posted Hide Post
Amaracunz don't know that, arnie. They don't know that "data" and "agenda" are plural either. We'uns don't do Latin here, y'see. Lots of other English speakers pick up our bad habits.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
should be vertebra

Bras can't be mentioned in family papers.

posted Hide Post
"Verte" means "green" in French, and "bras" is "arm." Why are you mentioning a French person with green arms?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You are right, arnie. I found both vertebra and vertebrae used online. Strange.