Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Populism Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Just one more post about our political moment over here in the states, and then I'll try to leave it alone for awhile. However, I've been thinking, Donald Trump ran as the "populist" candidate. Yet, Hillary Clinton got more votes (more than a million) than he did, so isn't she really the populist? It was only because of our archaic electoral college system that Donald won, not the popular vote. This is what I found on the internet as one definition of "populism:"
quote:
Populism is a political ideology that believes that virtuous citizens are mistreated by a small circle of elites, who can be overthrown if the people recognize the danger and work together. Populism depicts elites as trampling on the rights, values, and voice of the legitimate people.
That surely doesn't sound like someone who received fewer votes than his opponent, at least to me. I'd consider Hillary the populist, not Donald.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The idea of being put upon by elites surely resonated with the T. Rump voters. The same with Sanders supporters.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post