Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Damning with faint praise
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damning with faint praise Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
The current issue of INK (a book review magazine) describes Eats, shoots and leaves as "probably the funniest book ever written about punctuation".

I can't imagine that it has too much competition.

Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life ?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off ?
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, Bob! Big Grin I hadn't heard of it, so I read a few reviews from the Web. This one could have come straight from Wordcraft: [By the way, the full name of the book is "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation"]

"Reviewer: Chris Rock from Reading, Berks., England
Confession: I haven't read this. However, I'd be wary of buying any book which derides the use of poor grammar but can't even expunge the grammatical errors from its own title! For those of you who care, there should be a hyphen between the words 'zero' and 'tolerance' (since they are used here to form a composite adjective before a noun)."

And, another criticism:

"Reviewer: el_zomba from PUDSEY United Kingdom
Firstly I have to point out that 'Zero Tolerance' is a concept, and not an adjective."

I found this one rather curious, as I can't imagine grammar being "sexy."

"John Walsh, The Independent
Eats, Shoots and Leaves makes the history of punctuation a subject at once urgent, sexy and hilarious... "

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found this one rather curious, as I can't imagine grammar being "sexy."

"Sexy" is advertising/marketing jargon for appealing. I know this! But I can't find a good citation.

Grrrrr!

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Benjamin Disraeli said, in 1860, "...It is easier to be critical than to be correct..."

And I would add, "...It is easier to be critical than it is to be creative..."

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am surprised at your comment, Richard, especially when I consider your recent criticsim about the use of "supervisee."

I think it is perfectly acceptable to criticize poor English and grammar. Clearly, it is incorrect to use "zero tolerance" as an adjective, though the hyphen criticism may be a little persnickety.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I didn't say it was wrong to criticise; I said it was easy.

There are certainly times when it is deserved, just as there are times when it is not.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And, I agree with that, Richard. Do you think using "zero tolerance" as an adjective in a book title is is not one of those times?

I also think it takes a lot of talent in order to do a cogent critique. Sure, anyone can critique something, but for it to spark interest is another thing. While I don't always agree with every critique, if it is a comprehensive critical analysis, I am intellectually challenged by it.