Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Life plus 5 years...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life plus 5 years... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I realize the reason for a sentence of life plus 5 years (sometimes prisoners get off earlier for good behavior), but it still seems odd for a prison sentence. Will they keep him in prison in Hell? What about those lucky non-after-life believers (is there a word for that?) I think this is bias against those who believe in Heaven and Hell! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've always wondered if, when you're in Heaven, can you look down and see the unfortunates in Hell? And if you can, is it permissible to taunt?

I think "life plus ...." is just a legal way to make certain you don't get paroled.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We don't have that rather strange convention over here. The trial judge can make a recommendation that the full term be served, but parole boards are able to ignore it with impunity. Every now and then a case is reported by the press when a parolee has re-offended and he/she wouldn't have been at liberty if the board had taken any notice of the judge's recommendation. Cue shitstorm in the papers lasting a few days, quickly forgotten until the next time.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Could a Buddhist criminal be sentenced to five consecutive life-sentences?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought that link of Geoff's to Primitive Baptists was funny. They consider life as Hell!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post