Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Funny Incorrect Usage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny Incorrect Usage Login/Join

Picture of WinterBranch
posted
Today I was rewatching one of my favorite movies, Secrets and Lies by Mike Leigh. One part made me laugh and think of you crazy people.

An uneducated woman is having lunch with the daughter she gave up for adoption at birth. The daughter has gotten a degree and done well for herself. They're talking, and the mother says,

"Where's our food? I'm ravishing!"

And the daughter kind of laughs at her, shaking her head.

That's a fun combination of 'ravenous', 'famished', and 'starving' I guess.

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What a great mondegreen!

My mother always used to talk about an aunt who used to say, "Can you magazine that?" I have always wondered, though, if it was embellished over the years. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it was Tadpole's mother-in-law (remember Tadpole? - she's been very ill recently which is why she's not been around) who coined the medical term "Irritating Bowel Syndrome". Taddy and I agree that is a far better description than the actual name, irritable bowel syndrome!

Posts: 185 | Location: London, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have wondered about Tadpole. There are too many illnesses on this board now! Please send her our best wishes.
quote:
". Taddy and I agree that is a far better description than the actual name, irritable bowel syndrome!
I think I posted this somewhere before. When I was in elementary school, one of my friends stayed home sick with a stomach ache. Her mom sent a note to the teacher saying, "Patsy has a terrific stomach ache." Patsy said to me, "I didn't think it was that 'terrific'"!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have wondered about Tadpole. There are too many illnesses on this board now! Please send her our best wishes.

quote:
"Irritating Bowel Syndrome". Taddy and I agree that is a far better description than the actual name, irritable bowel syndrome!
Yes, I agree! I think I posted this somewhere before, but when I was in elementary school, one of my friends stayed home sick with a stomach ache. Her mom sent a note to the teacher saying, "Patsy had a terrific stomach ache." Patsy said to me, "I didn't think it was that 'terrific'"!