Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More jargon... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In an article about business practices, a communication consultant says, "The general rule I stand by is that we're rushing into way too many confrontations and we over-respond. Whether that's reading just enough of an email to realize that I should be upset or thinking that every minor slight is something I need to respond to. We get defensive, and that puts us on the path to mutually assured conversational destruction. Love that phrase! Have you heard it before?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had not heard it, but it's clearly borrowing from the Cold War premise of Mutually Assured Destruction in a nuclear war. Clever, though.

It reminds me of a recent conversation with a physician in a bike shop about cycling shorts sanitation, wherein she referred to the warm, dark, moist environment of one's shorts as a pedal-powered petri dish.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's great, arnie. So true! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post