Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    How the English language became such a mess
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How the English language became such a mess Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
quote:
Greed started the problem of our language and laziness entrenched it, but snobbishness lionizes it. The history of English is a tale of vice… and that is a word, by the way, that we got from the French – even if we can’t blame them for the vices themselves.

According to this BBC article, anyway.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
even if we can’t blame them for the vices themselves.
... of course we can.

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I can't pull up the article.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
For some reason, I can't pull up the article.

Works for me, and I use a Commodore 64.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I finally did pull it up, and I loved it. Great link, arnie.

You don't use a Commodore 64, right? (I am pretty gullible.) That was our first computer. I remember, before Word Perfect or Word, Shu found a word processing program in a magazine and typed it in so that we could word process. There were kinks, though. You had to type c and then /c for underlines, for example. Heaven forbid if you forgot the /c in a long document, which I did with my dissertation once. The entire draft was underlined.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

<Proofreader>
posted
Not a Commodore but I did build one when they first came out from parts. Took a week and it would only generate square roots.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm ready to go back to my Coleco Adam.

The cognitive rehab program I had to work through after having had my brains knocked out only worked on a Commodore 64 at first, but after shit-for-brains Geoff got through with it it was a Commode 64.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sinclair ZX81. A massive 1k of RAM. Plugged into the TV as a monitor. Screen went blank while processing. Ah, those were the days.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I was perhaps a later adopter. My first computer was an IBM PC clone running Windows 3.1. Slightly earlier we'd been supplied at work with IBM PS/2s running PC-DOS.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We were early adopters, but rather late ones now. There's always something new and it's hard to keep up - even with the terminology.