Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Comment on democract
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comment on democract Login/Join

posted
This was found on the Q&A forum, Quora: Being democratic not only means you have the choice, but also means you should be responsible for the choice you make. I guess that’s the difference between democracy and populism.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting comment, and I think there is a lot of truth in it. I am not impressed by populism. It seems selfish to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were you aware that there once was an actual Populist Party in the USA? Here's their platform: http://www.wwnorton.com/colleg...cuments/populist.htm

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I am seeing a lot of left-right division on whether we are a democracy or a republic & never had thought the terms mutually exclusive. Nor do I get why 'democracy' suggests left-think & 'republic' suggests right-think.

Anyone more up to date on these polemics than I?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
This was found on the Q&A forum, Quora: Being democratic not only means you have the choice, but also means you should be responsible for the choice you make. I guess that’s the difference between democracy and populism.
I wonder what they cite for the 'responsibility' part. And what does that even mean?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing, Bethree. <Caution; political statement coming!> It reminds me of pro-lifers; they are pro-life until the baby is born - and then they're done.

Anyway. Geoff, your link was interesting, and, no, I did not realize there had been a populist party. This part of of their platform confused me:
quote:
Second.—Wealth belongs to him who creates it, and every dollar taken from industry without an equivalent is robbery. ''If any will not work, neither shall he eat.'' The interests of rural and civil labor are the same; their enemies are identical.
"If any will not work, neither shall he eat"? What if he is old or sick or mentally ill?

posted Hide Post
It's New Testament old and sick mentality.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/...-you-think-they-mean

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. I am not a big New Testament scholar.