Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Omnishambles Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Here's a word that has been used several times relating to politics over here in the UK. I think most people will be able to guess its meaning easily enough, and there's an article on it at World Wide Words.

Although its use seems limited to politics at the momnt, I suspect it may expand to cover any balls-up.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It certainly covers Nick Clegg's "leadership" of the Lib Dems who are our third largest party and in local elections in Edinburgh got beaten by a man dressed as a penguin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
That's what we in the U.S. would call a "clusterf__k." Do they say "clusterf__k" in the U.K.? "Omnishambles" is so much more polite, though. I like it.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've heard of people "dropping an f-bomb", where they shout something like, "Why don't you f__king well do as you're told, you f__king f__ker?"

I've not come across "clusterf__k", although a common synonym for omnishambles is "f__k-up" - or "cock-up" - or "balls-up" as I've already said in my first post. I'm sensing a pattern here...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I believe clusterf__ck to be a military term originally.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose I am the "Pollyanna" here, but I've not heard of either "clusterf___k or"omnishambles.' I kinda like "omnishambles," though. WM, have you heard it before?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Here's one definition for the American word.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I suppose I am the "Pollyanna" here, but I've not heard of either "clusterf___k or"omnishambles.' I kinda like "omnishambles," though. WM, have you heard it before?

I had never heard of "omnishambles" before this thread, Kalleh. I first heard "clusterf__k" about 10 years ago from a younger female colleague at the college where I worked. She was referring to some new, grand idea on the part of the administration that was going to make all of our lives miserable. If you ever watch Daily Show with Jon Stewart from time to time, you will encounter his election "analysis" segment, routinely referred to as "Clusterf*%k to the Whitehouse."

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, that's it. I don't watch Jon Stewart. "Omnishambles" seems more intuitive to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post