Find
Notify
Tools

Appeared to? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Here is the Chicago Tribune's brilliant analysis of why a runner died:
quote:
[He] appeared to have suffered cardiac arrest, authorities said.
Appeared to have suffered a cardiac arrest? He clearly did suffer a cardiac arrest. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That article was published Sunday, Oct. 9, and the cause of death was not established until Monday, Oct.10. So it would have been presumptuous of the authorities to pronounce the cause of death before it was officially determined. In that case, appeared was the right word to use.

Here's a quote from the article:
quote:
William Caviness, a 35-year-old firefighter from North Carolina, appeared to have suffered cardiac arrest, authorities said. He was running to raise money for burn victims.

The cause of death was pending an autopsy Monday. It is not known if the heat was a contributing factor.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Doesn't everyone who dies suffer cardiac arrest? Whether it is the cause of death is a different matter. Roll Eyes

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My point, precisely, arnie.

It didn't say myocardial infarction or heart attack or dysrhythmia. It said cardiac arrest. I defy you to find someone who died who didn't have a cardiac arrest.

I posted the correct quote from the article, but not the article. Anyway, since it has now been established that it was in the Chicago Marathon, I can tell you that they still haven't determined the cause of death, even after the autopsy. But, again, we know for sure that he had a cardiac arrest, which merely means his heart stopped.

posted Hide Post
I interpreted "appeared to have suffered cardiac arrest" as meaning "it appeared cardiac arrest was the cause of death," as opposed to a heart attack. That's what I thought the reporter meant.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe. That is very technical, though, and there was no evidence at all about his death at the time. Indeed, the autopsy, which was done later, showed nothing.

I think he meant "heart attack," but didn't realize that cardiac arrest is different. The fact is, Tinman, a cardiac arrest, in the end, is everyone's cause of death, if you think about it. The condition may be cancer or a stroke, but it's the cardiac arrest that stops the blood from circulating throughout the system. Oh well. Maybe I am being too technical!

I just thought it an odd comment. Clearly they had no idea of the cause of death at the time, nor do they now.