Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Banning Books and Chicago Schools
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Banning Books and Chicago Schools Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
There was quite a kerfuffle in the library world a few years ago when Chicago Public Schools ordered to remove all copies of the graphic novel Persepolis from classrooms and libraries. They shrugged it off as a misunderstanding but it turns out it was not. This article just came out in one of the journals I read: How CPS Officials Decided to Ban

I thought some of you might find it interesting.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
You mean those two "bad" words were enough to cause banning of a book in CHICAGO? Those kids never heard those words before?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Human history is fraught with utter stupidity, and I don't suppose it will end here.

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You sure it wasn't Houston, not Chicago?
At least they let the "advanced placement," i.e. smarter than the administrators kids read it.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We talked about this here.
quote:
You mean those two "bad" words were enough to cause banning of a book in CHICAGO? Those kids never heard those words before?
Remember it wasn't Chicago, it was the Chicago Public Schools. At any rate, let's hope it's back on the shelves. It had created quite a hullabaloo.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post