Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

misogyny Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Mary Schmich writes about the word misogyny, from the Greek words, misos for hatred and gune for women. She writes about how it has increased in use. One example is that from Jan. 1-Oct. 18, 1996, the Tribune used it 22 times; during the same time period in 2016, they used it 115 times. Currently it's in the top 1% of words looked up in the online Merriam Webster Dictionary, which defines it as "a hatred of women."

The definition seems to be changing, too. While it has meant "hatred of women," Schmich says that an editor of the main Australian dictionary states that it is becoming synonymous with sexism. Schmich disagrees, saying that sexism covers actions and attitudes, while misogyny is more about motive. That is, why would a man prey on women sexually? Because of misogyny.

What are your thoughts about the definition?

[If you can't access the article, I'll cut and paste it. Mary Schmich is always good.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nah, "miso" is Japanese soup, and "misogyny" is women making miso soup. Men don't make it because it's women's work. Roll Eyes

The above is an example of chauvinism, which puts yet another slant on "chattelizing" women, to coin a phrase. Now, how does one differentiate between biased cultural norms and actual hatred?

I have long believed that misogyny is just what Bruce Springsteen was quoted as saying: Fear. Men fear what they can't understand, and fear makes them want to control it in any way possible, or even kill it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Mary Schmich writes about the word misogyny, from the Greek words, misos for woman and gune for hatred.

It's the other way round.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yikes - I reversed them, and of course I knew that. My mistake, not hers. I just fixed it.

I think all the hullabaloo about our election is based on misogyny.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
misogyny

Mysogyny goes with misandry 'hatred of men' and misanthropy 'hatred of humans'.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that a Freudian slip, Z, or a very good funny? Big Grin

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post