Wordcraft Community Home Page
Interesting play production

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/9481030523

April 30, 2006, 17:38
Dianthus
Interesting play production
I'm not too sure what category this post would come under but, since Shakespeare's plays have been written, I'll put it in here.

I've just heard a news item about a production in India and Sri Lanka of A Midsummer Night's Dream. The unusual thing about this is that it's a multilingual production in which all the actors speak their lines in their own languages - eight different ones!!!

See here for details.
May 03, 2006, 20:28
Kalleh
That must be confusing!
May 09, 2006, 20:25
<Asa Lovejoy>
It just goes to prove Puck's words: "Lord, what fools these mortals be!"
May 10, 2006, 06:33
zmježd
I've heard of European productions of Boris Godunov where each singer sings in their own language.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
May 10, 2006, 06:40
<Asa Lovejoy>
Ah, well, the music itself would still be lovely! Mussorgsky, though a drunken civil servant, not a trained musician, was a "superhero" of the Russian nationalist school, IMHO. The prelude to his unfinished "Khovanchina" never fails to make me think he was an absolute genius. I think he was the first to write songs that used rhythms of natural speaking. Waaaay ahead of his time!
May 10, 2006, 08:24
BobHale
I once saw a production of Biederman und die Brandstifter that was half in German and half in English. It was quite interesting though I have to admit that I was grateful for the English bits as my German really wasn't up to understanding a complete play.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.