Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Interesting play production
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting play production Login/Join

posted
I'm not too sure what category this post would come under but, since Shakespeare's plays have been written, I'll put it in here.

I've just heard a news item about a production in India and Sri Lanka of A Midsummer Night's Dream. The unusual thing about this is that it's a multilingual production in which all the actors speak their lines in their own languages - eight different ones!!!

See here for details.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That must be confusing!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It just goes to prove Puck's words: "Lord, what fools these mortals be!"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I've heard of European productions of Boris Godunov where each singer sings in their own language.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Ah, well, the music itself would still be lovely! Mussorgsky, though a drunken civil servant, not a trained musician, was a "superhero" of the Russian nationalist school, IMHO. The prelude to his unfinished "Khovanchina" never fails to make me think he was an absolute genius. I think he was the first to write songs that used rhythms of natural speaking. Waaaay ahead of his time!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I once saw a production of Biederman und die Brandstifter that was half in German and half in English. It was quite interesting though I have to admit that I was grateful for the English bits as my German really wasn't up to understanding a complete play.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post