Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    United or Divided
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United or Divided Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Undivided by A Common Language

So what do we think? Are diided by the differences in US and UK English?

It sometimes seems to me that Americans have a harder time understanding me than I have understanding them. This may be my own accent or perhaps is because our TV shows so much American TV that the American speech patterns are as familiar to me as the British ones, while the same isn't true the other way round.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The impression I get is that the difference is cultural - fear of Americanization.

The Doctor Who audio "Ish" made a big deal out of these trivial linguistic differences, treating them like they were something really profound.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I just don't see that around me. No one I know ever even mentions these differences. I've never once heard a single one of my friends comment on it. Perhaps the people that write articles about it might be concerned but for the vast majority I don't think anybody gives it a second thought. Or even a first one.

Personally I think that the differences are completely trivial.

As for "ish" - it was a moderately amusing tale and the big deal it made about US/UK differences was far from the most preposterous thing about it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I really liked the article, Bob, and agree with his take on the differences, particularly given the expanse of land and the numbers of people. On the other hand, I did wonder about a few things:
1) He says in the British literature ise to ize is about 3:2. Really? It seems more like 100% to me.

2) I'd say, "I've already done that" and not "I already did that" and that's mostly what I hear from Americans.

3) I am not sure I'd understand this statement: "I don’t know if she understands French, but she may do." She "may do" what? It is one time when I don't think I'd "immediately understand" the meaning, which is what he says Americans would do.

4) I have never heard an American "hot under the collar" about Britishisms. I am not sure about Americanisms in Britain.
quote:
It sometimes seems to me that Americans have a harder time understanding me than I have understanding them. This may be my own accent
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Your Birmingham accent is harder for me to understand than arnie's or Richard's accents. It's more like the Scottish accent, which also was harder to understand.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

2) I'd say, "I've already done that" and not "I already did that" and that's mostly what I hear from Americans.

Around here it's "I done that already."

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'll post a comment on that article as soon as I have it translated into English.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I don’t know if she understands French, but she may do."

"do" is used to stand in for "understand French"

We don't always say it this we, but we may do. Smile

(i.e. may say it this way)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Of all the Britishisms, or whatever they're called, that is one that legitimately would stump me. "Do" seems more active to me - or maybe it's something else, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Confused

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Would you have any issue with this exchange?

Do you play football?
Yes, I do.

It's just the same thing.

posted Hide Post
When being married or sworn in on the witless stand, one usually says, "I do." "Aw, what the f*%k, why not?" is gaining in popularity in some areas, however.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
"Aw, what the f*%k, why not?" is gaining in popularity in some areas, however.

"I take the Fifth" is popular in New Jersey.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you could drink booze in court.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, it is the "may do" that throws me. It seems to me that the do is superfluous. I'd understand it if it were, "but she may," but not "but she may do."