Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Gordon Brown editorial
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gordon Brown editorial Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Gordon Brown has an editorial in today's Wall Street Journal, titled (somewhat misleadingly) "Enlarging the Anglosphere: Britain and America should commit to helping everyone who wants to learn English".

It's not particularly interesting, but some of you Brits might want to take a look. I believe even non-subscribers can view it, today, at this link.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Three things spring to mind.

1. The title appears to have virtually nothing to do with the article. Indeed, as I read it I was convinced that it was going to have absolutely nothing to do with the article. The comment towards the end about getting people to learn English seems no more than a throw away afterthought unconnected with anything that went before.

2. This is monumentally arrogant crap. We speak English. We are the best. Hurrah for us. Now let's go and civilize Johnny foreigner.

3. (And this one actually angers me.) If he's so keen on the idea of everyone speaking English why IN HIS OWN COUNTRY has he reduced the rights of asylum seekers and refugees and spouses of citizens to have English lessons. Why did the teaching unions have to wage a campaign to stop him removing that right altogether for all asylum seekers and many other recently arrived migrants of various statuses?

I thought it was going to be tough to find a Prime Minister I like less than Blair. This sanctimonious, hypocritical jackanapes is doing his best to prove me wrong.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
jackanapes
I always enjoy it when Bob gets irritated because I learn a new word. Wink Is jackanapes common in England? I haven't heard it used here.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always enjoy it when Bob gets irritated because I learn a new word. Wink Is jackanapes common in England? I haven't heard it used here.

It's rather an old-fashioned expression - but none the worse for that.

And I agree, Brown is a poltroon, and, unlike Blair, does not even have the gift of good communication. Blair is a dishonest and deceitful man - but at least he spoke well.

Oh, and the article is dreadful - it makes one embarrassed to be British. I suppose the one small crumb of comfort one could derive is that Brown isn't an Englishman.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm in complete agreement with Bob and Richard. The article is sanctimonious and Brown himself is odious.

I have been trying all my life to like Scotchmen, and am obligated to desist from the experiment in despair.
~ Charles Lamb

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post