Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Musings about a headline
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musings about a headline Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
The headline on a story about three teenagers who kicked an elderly man to death to steal his mobile phone was

BRAINLESS MINDLESS THUGS

It seems from the article that this phrase was actually used by the judge in his summing up and sentencing.

It occurred to me though that the words are either meant literally or figuratively. If they are meant literally then they are clearly nonsense as the former couldn't could possibly be true and the latter is highly unlikely unless the thugs in question have suffered extreme brain damage.

If on the other hand they are meant figuratively (as is almost certainly the case) then surely they have exactly the same meaning and present us with a tautology.

Can anyone think of a justification for the expression?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd say it's used for emphasis.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Before I read arnie's answer, that's what I was thinking, too, Bob.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Alert readers notice that the headline reveals the Judge's failed attempt to produce appropriate pejoratives. "Cruel" and "Vicious" would more accurately describe the scoundrels.

ROBBERY RENDERS VICTIM LIFELESS / PHONELESS

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Indeed it is, but it remains nevertheless a great big, huge, gigantic, enormous, massive, gargantuan tautolgy.

Doesn't it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
That it does. Calling them solipsitic antisocial scoundrels might sound better.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post