Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    New food words in the OED
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New food words in the OED Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The Tribune posted these "foodie" words that have been added to the OED:

Beer o’clock: "Are you having another beer?" "Every hour is beer o’clock during football games."

Cakeage (not to be confused with a woman wearing 10 pounds of makeup): “Did the restaurant seriously add a cakeage fee to my bill for this birthday cake I brought in?”

Cat cafe: "Do you want to get a cup of coffee at the cat cafe? Or is it like a dog park and you can't get in without a cat?"

Cheffy: "You made your own ketchup for this burger? That's so cheffy of you."

Cidery: "His kiss tasted cidery — he definitely stole that last bottle of Redd's from my fridge."

Cupcakery: “I was hoping a burrito place would move in next door, but it's just another one of those cupcakeries with $4 cupcakes.”

Hangry: "I didn't mean to snap at you. I haven't eaten lunch yet, and I'm super hangry."

Snackable: "Take these chips away from me. They're way too snackable."

Wine o’clock: “I just had the worst day at work. Pop open that rose, because it is definitely wine o'clock."

Do you use any of them? I suppose I might use snackable, but that's it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I' probably use cidery in the same way as I'd use beery in similar circumstances.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard "beer thirty" but not "beer o'clock."
I eschew $4.00 cupcakes; it's a price I can't swallow.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, Geoff, about those expensive cupcakes. Finally they are not as hot as they were (big cupcake stores sprouting up all over) so maybe the prices will fall. I do like a good red velvet cupcake from time to time. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post