Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Beauties and Beasts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beauties and Beasts Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
A quiz from the recent Chicago Tribune:

After all that bickering over two topless photos, Miss America officials sent ex-Miss North Carolina Rebekah Revels packing because, as one judge put it, "In a very real sense Miss America represents America."

Well, what then are we Americans to make of a replacement Miss N.C. named Misty Clymer? If contestants can't have nudie pictures in their portfolio, well then they also shouldn't have saucy, seductive names.

To illustrate this serious problem in pageantdom, the Chicago Tribune Tempo Subcommittee for Beauties and Beasts presents this list. Some are notorious women. Some are current Miss America contestants. See if you can tell them apart, as one should be able to do, for goodness sake.

Contestant or Criminal? (click link for answers)

1. Elizabeth Bathory
2. Krista Knicely
3. Misty Taylor
4. Julia Bulette
5. Scarlotte Deupree
6. Rachel Wall
7. Kate Bender
8. Carrie Finnell
9. Laura Lawless
10. Autumn Marisa
11. Mary Surratt
12. Brita Stream

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Fun, Shufitz, but I have a question. What if that is the girl's real name--eg, Laura Lawless? Should she change it to be less "saucy"?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
What if that is the girl's real name--eg, Laura
Lawless? Should she change it to be less "saucy"?

Any relation to Lucy Lawless, the star of Xena, Warrior Princess? Hey, this belongs in the "What's in a name" thread!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
After all that bickering over two topless photos, Miss America officials sent ex-Miss
North Carolina Rebekah Revels packing because, as one judge put it, "In a very real
sense Miss America represents America."

How/when did we infer from "topless" that we mean bare-breasted? It ought to mean "without a hat," or some such thing.

Now, a change of tone: Isn't this stuff awfully hypocritical? Here are a bunch of dirty old men ogling some young women in bathing suits, claiming that they "represent America," yet when one of 'em gives someone a look at her breasts, the old farts have apoplexy. I don't get it

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
"a bunch of dirty old men ogling some young women in bathing suits"

Interestingly, I understand that the principal viewing audience of the pageant is women, not men. For a man who wishes to ogle, today's society offers far more purient targets.

The newly-crowned Miss America (who, I note with pride, is from my state cool) is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of Illinois. She will attend Harvard Law School, to which she has been accepted. She points with pride to her multi-ethnic background: her mother is black, American Indian and Russian, and her father is Greek, German, Welsh and English. Only in America!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
She points with pride to her multi-ethnic
background: her mother is black, American Indian and Russian, and her father is
Greek, German, Welsh and English. Only in America!

This is from memory, which is not perfect, but I seem to remember that a playwrite named Israel Merchant coined the term, Melting Pot, in 1920. Of course, there are places where it's still white bread only, and some where it's a fruit salad,
but the idea continues. Have you seen the very funny movie, "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding," which deals with just this subject

posted Hide Post
The Word Detective says "The Melting Pot" was the title of a play written by Israel Zangwill in 1908. He stressed that Zangwill probably did not coin the metaphor "melting pot", but that his play certainly popularized it.

(http://www.word-detective.com/back-k2.html#meltingpot)

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The Word Detective says "The Melting Pot" was the title of a play written by Israel
Zangwill in 1908.
Oh, well, I remembered his first name, and I was only twelve years off. Not too bad, considering what I have left of a brain! razz

posted Hide Post
I may be 6 years late, but just found this site. For the record, my name is Laura Lawless (or it was my maiden name) and I'm no blood relation to Lucy Lawless. I'm glad I never played down my name when competing. I loved having a unique name that stood out and made people question whether I lived up to my name.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Better Lawless and late than not at all.

Welcome to the site; I hope you enjoy it here.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Laura! Check your PMs.

It's always nice to see these old threads. I sure don't remember this one.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
For a few years around here, our local representative in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives was a man named John Lawless. I have known of several people whose last name was Lawless, but I have never heard of anyone named Lawful.

Welcome, Laura! Are you related to John Lawless?

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Wikipedia shows various well-known people named Lawless such as:
  • Blackie Lawless, a heavy metal musician, leader of the band "W.A.S.P." (b.1954)
  • Emily Lawless, an Irish writer (1845 – 1913)
  • Lucy Lawless ("Xena"), an actress from New Zealand (b.1968)
  • Tom Lawless, a Major League Baseball player (b.1956)
  • Valentine Lawless, an Irish reformer and politician (1773 – 1853)
It doesn't list Laura Lawless, Miss Arizona. Perhaps someone ought to make good this omission?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post