Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Penticton limerick poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penticton limerick poll Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted
Here are the limericks; please vote in the usual manner

Question:
A geeky young guy from Penticton
Refused to fight bullies when picked on.
But he got his revenge
Wrote a virus "Stonehenge",
Which froze all their systems when clicked on

Fat Kenneth grew up in Penticton
And never reacted when picked on,
'Til one day being dissed
He let fly a fist -
From that moment onwards Ken kicked on.

Said the S&M fan in Penicton
“Please beat me and try to inflict’n
Extreme kind of pain,
And then do it again!
My mistress must be quite a strict’n.

A web-surfing man in Penticton,
By his wife was angrily picked on -
He said he searched "pawn" shop,
But she was a born cop
And well knew that's not what he clicked on.

A river wharf tart in Penticton
Tells dockhands who find rope addictin':
These bonds you can't sever
This place is forever
'n the red-light laws ain't too restrictin'

I once knew a good Benedictine
Who lived by the lake in Pendicton.
He curled and had fun
With a frisky young nun,
Whose shtick was to lick and be licked on.

Choices:

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tie for the first place at present, I see. I haven't yet voted and will reserve my vote as a tie=breaker should that be necessary.

I'll give it a few more days, but this will probably mean that I'll not be able to finalise the competition until 18 June as I shall be in Barbados.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This is one game where I would have voted for mine, if I were so inclined. I don't vote for my own though. It doesn't happen often that I would prefer mine, but, in this case, I had trouble with the scansion in the others.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It looks like #3 won! Richard may be traveling, but let's start a new game. I guess we'll have to wait for Richard to see who wrote which ones, though.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Er... that would make me the winner, then. So I suppose I should pick a new place.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Bob, and well deserved!

Mine was #6 and while I know "Benedictine" was rather a rhyming stretch, we do stretch around here and I liked mine as well...I especially had fun with line 5! I can't remember whose I voted for, but maybe yours, Bob. This game seems to have gone on for a long time! I am ready for a new venue.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was the last one to vote for No. 3, so in effect I made you the winner Bob, but hey don't think you owe me or anything. There were 3 limericks that didn't score a vote in this game, and 2 of them, Nos. 2 & 4, were mine. I quite liked them myself but you never can tell what people will like. Sometimes I've written what I thought was a dead-set winner and it hasn't pulled a vote, and on other occasions I've won with a limerick I didn't even like that much myself.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Of course I owe you.
The cheque is in the post.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
Yeah, I was the last one to vote for No. 3, so in effect I made you the winner Bob, but hey don't think you owe me or anything. There were 3 limericks that didn't score a vote in this game, and 2 of them, Nos. 2 & 4, were mine. I quite liked them myself but you never can tell what people will like. Sometimes I've written what I thought was a dead-set winner and it hasn't pulled a vote, and on other occasions I've won with a limerick I didn't even like that much myself.

My sentiments exactly (I was the third w/o a vote). Kalleh how very naughty yours was! Big Grin

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone,

Apologies for the delay but I was in Barbados and have only today returned. These are the authors of each limerick.

1. Me
2. Greg
3. Bob
4. Greg
5. Bethree
6. Kalleh

I didn't vote and didn't need to - well done, Bob.

With Barbados fresh in my mind I have some fine towns there I can use for the next time I win...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kalleh how very naughty yours was!

Well I have tried clean ones and they don't work, but dirty ones don't seem to work for me, either. Roll Eyes At any rate, I humored myself!

I hope Barbados was fun, Richard!

posted Hide Post
Barbados was nice but, like most Caribbean islands, has only limited sightseeing opportunities, simply because it is small (166 sq miles). In a week you can see just about all the sights - and I have now spent two separate weeks there.

Cuba (42,804 sq miles) is probably the only Caribbean island where you could spend a month - or even several months - and not see all the attractions.

Richard English

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
all the attractions.

Like Guantanamo?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guantanamo is not actually part of Cuba - it was leased, in February 1903, by the United States leased for use as a coaling (fueling) station. Until the lease is surrendered it is part of the USA - much as Hong King was part or the British Empire until its lease expired.

I do not believe that tourists are allowed to Guantanamo Bay, even if they wanted to - which would be extraordinary. Who would want to visit a prison camp housing hundreds of illegally confined, innocent men?

Cuba has hundreds of amazing tourist attractions and Havana is one of the few cities that are designated as World Heritage sites. As it happens, Bridgetown (Barbados) is one of the most recently approved, receiving that accolade last year.

I would certainly be happy to revisit Cuba; it is a very well-organised and safe island, with very friendly people and, for those who like that kind of thing (as do I) a comprehensive railway system, using which the whole island can be explored.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English